As a software engineer, you recognize at some point that
there''s much more to your career than dealing with code. Is it
time to become a manager? Tell your boss he's a jerk? Join that
startup? Author Michael Lopp recalls his own make-or-break moments
with Silicon Valley giants such as Apple, Netscape, and Symantec
inBeing Geek-- an insightful and entertaining book that
will help you make better career decisions.
With more than 40 standalone stories, Lopp walks through a
complete job life cycle, starting with the job interview and ending
with the realization that it might be time to find another gig.
Many books teach you how to interview for a job or how to manage a
project successfully, but only this book helps you handle the
baffling circumstances you may encounter throughout your
- Decide what you''re worth with the chapter on "The
- Determine the nature of the miracle your CEO wants with "The
- Give effective presentations with "How Not to Throw Up"
- Handle liars and people with devious agendas with "Managing
- Realize when you should be looking for a new gig with "The