1. Why are kids having more trouble coming of age in 2000?
2. Discuss the differences in childhood and in parenting between
your era and today. What was better, or worse? How can we preserve
the best of both eras for our children?
3. How do we build a sense of community in our neighborhoods
today? How can we help other people's children? What institutions
can help us?
4. How do we balance the need to protect our children with the
need to raise them free of unnecessary fear?
5. What useful work do we have for children in our
6. What can we do to fight violent and sexualized media and the
omnipresence of marketing to children?
7. What experience in adolescence are mostly girls' experiences?
What experiences are mostly unique to boys? What issues are shared
by both genders?
8. What do you think a typical school day is like in the life of
your child? (Your students?)
9. How can schools and families protect girls from eating
disorders? How can we hold advertisers and media more accountable
for their images of young women?
10. How has our culture changed for girls since Reviving
Ophelia was written? Discuss both negative and positive
11. How do computers affect girls' social and emotional
12. How can we help girls hold on to their true selves?
13. What role do sports play in girls' development?
14. Why do girls argue so much with their mothers and what can
be done about it?
15. How can fathers help their daughters through
16. What are the signs of depression in teens and when should a
family seek professional help?
17. What guidelines and policies should parents have about their
18. How can we keep our teens connected to older and younger
people and not isolated in peer culture?
19. What is a good school harassment policy?
20. How do we teach boys to respect women and girls?
21. What are some differences in adolescence across ethnic
groups--specifically African-American, Asian, and Hispanic?
22. What is your policy about movies, television, music, and
computers? How do you enforce it? What are the relative merits of
protecting children from media versus exposing them to media but
processing it with them and helping them understand it?
23. How can we teach children to behave properly? 24. How do we
teach values to our children?