Part I: The Clash of British Imperialism and Afrikaner
1. Prelude to War: Afrikaner and British Imperial
2. War, Peace and Reconstruction.
3. Afrikaners, Blacks and Reconstruction.
Part II: The White Union and Black
4. Responsible Government and the Union.
5. The New Union: White and Black Political Activity.
6. The Great War and its Aftermath.
7. The Pact Government and Segregation 1924-9.
8. From Pact to Fusion: Economic Depression and Black
Part III: World War II and Apartheid:.
9. World War II and its Aftermath 1939-48.
10. African Nationalism Transformed: 1939-48.
11. The National Party Government 1948-61.
12.African Opposition: Communists, Congress and the Pan
Part IV: The Wind of Change:.
13. The New Republic, Sharpeville and the Granite Response.
14. Vorster and the Development of the Bantustans.
15. Black Resistance Inside and Outside the Republic.
Part V: Renewed Black Challenge: .
16. Soweto and its Aftermath.
17. Reform, Security and White Divisions Under P. W. Botha.
18. The Black Rising: and Answering Fire with Fire.
19. Retreat from the Rubicon: The Failure of Reform.
Part VI: Forging the New South Africa:.
20. In Search of a New South Africa.
21. Reaching Agreement: Negotiation, Tension and Violence.
22. Towards the Promised Land.