The Perks of Being a Wallflower
By Stephen Chbosky
1. Why do you think Charlie wants to remain anonymous? Have
there been times when you wish you could have, or did?
2. Would you be friends with Charlie? Why or why not?
3. What do we learn about Michael? Do you sympathize with
4. What do you think about Susan''s relationship with her
boyfriend? When Charlie tells Bill, did you think Bill would call
his parents? Do you think that was the right thing to do? What do
you think of her parent''s reaction?
5. Discuss Charlie''s reaction to his brother and sister
throwing a party. What did you think about the couple in his room?
What about Charlie''s response?
6. What do you think being a wallflower is? Do you agree with
7. How do you feel about Patrick and Brad''s relationship? Do
you think Patrick is understanding of Brad''s feelings? What chance
at a relationship do they have? Do you think that you can have a
''true'' relationship built on secrets?
8. Charlie mentions that his dad "had glory days once." What do
you think Charlie''s glory days will be? Do you think he is worried
about not having any?
9. Discuss Charlie''s family holidays. Are there elements that
are universal to every family dynamic? Has anything about
Charlie''s family surprised you? Describe aunt Helen. What kind of
person is she?
10. Talk about the mixed tapes in the story. Are you familiar
with the songs and bands? Why do you think Charlie speaks about
them so often?
11. Do you like that the story is told through letters? Do you
feel you know the kind of person Charlie is? His friends and
12. Several important issues come up during the course of the
book, ranging from molestation to drug use. How does Charlie deal
with these? How have the issues affected his friends and
13. Charlie has a few breakdowns. Do you feel hopeful for him?
How much of his past explains his present?
14. Charlie''s friends are moving away at the end of the story.
Where does this leave Charlie? Can he make new friends?
15. Bill is very supportive of Charlie. How does this affect