Praise for the First Edition
"Because of its exceptionally wide perspective, evenarchitectural historians who do not teach general survey coursesare likely to enjoy and appreciate it."
"Not only does A Global History of Architecture own theterritory (of world architecture), it pulls off this audacious taskwith panache, intelligence, and—for the mostpart—grace."
—Journal of the Society of ArchitecturalHistorians
Revised and updated—the compelling history of theworld's great architectural achievements
Organized along a global timeline, A Global History ofArchitecture, Second Edition has been updated and revisedthroughout to reflect current scholarship. Spanning from 3,500b.c.e. to the present, this unique guide is written by an all-starteam of architectural experts in their fields who emphasize theconnections, contrasts, and influences of architectural movementsthroughout history. The architectural history of the world comes tolife through a unified framework for interpreting and understandingarchitecture, supplemented by rich drawings from the renowned FrankChing, as well as brilliant photographs. This new SecondEdition:
- Delivers more coverage of non-Western areas, particularlyAfrica, South Asia, South East Asia, and Pre-Columbian America
- Is completely re-designed with full-color illustrationsthroughout
- Incorporates additional drawings by Professor Ching, includingnew maps with more information and color
- Meets the requirements set by the National ArchitecturalAccrediting Board (NAAB) for "non-Western" architecture in historyeducation.
- Offers new connections to a companion Web site, includingGoogle EarthTM coordinates for ease of finding sites.
Architecture and art enthusiasts will find A Global Historyof Architecture, Second Edition perpetually at theirfingertips.