Dimensions: 292 pages, 11.2 × 8.2 × 1.2 in
Published: May 6, 2014
Publisher: Chronicle Books (CA)
The following ISBNs are associated with this title:
ISBN - 10: 1452134251
ISBN - 13: 9781452134253
From the Publisher
This spectacular collection of 125 letters offers a never-before-seen glimpse of the events and people of history - the brightest and the best, the most notorious, and the endearingly everyday. Described by the compiler Shaun Usher as "a museum of letters" the package design encourages dip-in-dip-out exploration. Letters are not ordered chronologically or thematically, but are artfully arranged for a discovery-rich reading experience. Each entry includes a transcript of the letter; a short contextual introduction; and, in 100 cases, a captivating facsimile of the letter itself. Packaged in a handsome hardcover and colorfully illustrated with photographs, portraits, and relevant artworks, it''s visually enchanting inside and out - an instant classic and a gift of choice for moms, dads, grads, and summer hosts.
80% of the letters have appeared on Shaun''s massively popular blog (5 million hits a month, half from NAM). 20% are new for the book.
- A design brief from Mick Jagger to Andy Warhol for an upcoming album cover (aka Sticky Fingers)
- Queen Elizabeth''s handwritten note to Eisenhower including her recipe for scones
- Virginia Woolf''s suicide note to her husband, Leonard
- A letter of advice from Iggy Pop to a troubled fan
- Jack the Ripper''s taunt to the head of the ""Whitechapel Murders'' vigilance committee
- A letter from then-unknown Leonardo da Vinci seeking engineering work from the Duke of Milan
- Roald Dahl''s thank-you note to a young reader"