was an instantNew York Times
bestseller that caused a media uproar, continuing the amazing success begun with the groundbreaking, worldwide sensationFreakonomics
challenges the way we think all over again, exploring the hidden side of everything with such questions as
- How is a street prostitute like a department-store Santa?
- Why are doctors so bad at washing their hands?
- How much good do car seats do?
- What''s the best way to catch a terrorist?
- What do hurricanes, heart attacks and highway deaths have in common?
- Are people hard-wired for altruism or selfishness?
- Can eating kangaroo save the planet?
Levitt and Dubner mix smart thinking and great storytelling like no one else, whether investigating a solution to global warming or explaining why the price of oral sex has fallen so drastically. By examining how people respond to incentives, they show the world for what it really is-good, bad, ugly and, in the final analysis, super-freaky.Freakonomicshas been imitated many times over, but only now, withSuperFreakonomics, has it met its match.