512 pages, 9.75 × 8.5 × 1.62 in
May 1, 2007
The following ISBNs are associated with this title:
ISBN - 10: 0714847984
ISBN - 13: 9780714847986
About the Book
- A complement to the landmark Art Book, this volume is an accessible guide to the art of the 20th century
- Showcases 500 artists in alphabetical order, placing early stars like Monet, Picasso and Dalf alongside the most innovative contemporary artists
- Documents the myriad new media utilized by artists - from oil and collage to sculpture and readymades to installation and video
- Each artist is represented by a full-page colour plate and a biographical text that both explains the image and introduces its creator
- Easy to use: cross-references make connections between artists, while a glossary defines terms and artistic movements, and an international directory of museums and galleries helps readers to encounter the art face to face
- Mini and midi formats are also available, which have all of the visual impact and educational value of the original in a more lightweight, portable format
From the Publisher
One of the most complete representations of this century's art to hit the shelves in years, The 20th-Century Art Book offers 500 full-page reproductions, each by a different artist. No matter how famous, each artist has but one page, accompanied by a concise, informative block of text. Presented in alphabetical order, each artist, regardless of stature, is treated in exactly the same manner as the other 499 others in the book. Some images are delightfully complimented, others deeply agitated by the work that, by chance of the alphabet, happens to lie on the facing page.
'This superbly illustrated, alphabetically arranged celebration of 500 modern artists is a model of its kind.'