Dimensions: 672 pages, 9.13 × 7.5 × 1.92 in
Published: November 20, 2012
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
The following ISBNs are associated with this title:
ISBN - 10: 0547884591
ISBN - 13: 9780547884592
From the Publisher
WHAT IF YOU COULD BECOME WORLD-CLASS IN ANYTHING IN 6 MONTHS OR LESS?
The 4-Hour Chefisn''t just a cookbook. It''s a choose-your-own-adventure guide to the world of rapid learning.
#1New York Timesbestselling author (and lifelong non-cook) Tim Ferriss takes you from Manhattan to Okinawa, and from Silicon Valley to Calcutta, unearthing the secrets of the world''s fastest learners and greatest chefs. Ferriss uses cooking to explain "meta-learning," a step-by-step process that can be used to master anything, whether searing steak or shooting 3-pointers in basketball. That is the real "recipe" ofThe 4-Hour Chef.
You''ll train inside the kitchen for everything outside the kitchen. Featuring tips and tricks from chess prodigies, world-renowned chefs, pro athletes, master sommeliers, super models, and everyone in between, this "cookbook for people who don''t buy cookbooks" is a guide to mastering cooking and life.
The 4-Hour Chefis a five-stop journey through the art and science of learning:
1. META-LEARNING. Before you learn to cook, you must learn to learn. META charts the path to doubling your learning potential.
2. THE DOMESTIC. DOM is where you learn the building blocks of cooking. These are the ABCs (techniques) that can take you from Dr, Seuss to Shakespeare.
3. THE WILD. Becoming a master student requires self-sufficiency in all things. WILD teaches you to hunt, forage, and survive.
4. THE SCIENTIST. SCI is the mad scientist and modernist painter wrapped into one. This is where you rediscover whimsy and wonder.
5. THE PROFESSIONAL. Swaraj, a term usually associated with Mahatma Gandhi, can be translated as "self-rule." In PRO, we''ll look at how the best in the world become the best in the world, and how you can chart your own path far beyond this book.
About the Author
is also an angel investor (StumbleUpon, Facebook, Digg, Twitter, et al), guest lecturer at Princeton University, and faculty member at Singularity University, based at NASA Ames Research Center.Newsweek
calls Tim "the world''s best guinea pig," which he takes as a compliment.
"Tim Ferriss distills kitchen wisdom like a rotary evaporator on power surge. The results are potent, lucid, and delicious."
- Nick Kokonas, Co-Owner, Alinea, Next, The Aviary
"Wildly inventive.. [a] rangy, obsessive immersion in food and its many wonders. [T]he tools needed to learn to cook well can be deployed in every manner of endeavor, from skinning a deer to memorizing a deck of cards. The author distills them into minimal, learnable units and examines how to order the units so as to keep readers engaged in their endeavors. Ferriss is a beguiling guide to this process, at once charmingly smart aleck-y and deadly serious, and he aims to make readers knowledgeable and freethinking." - Kirkus Reviews