Screaming, swearing, crying, hitting, kicking, spitting, biting...these are some of the challenging behaviors we see in kids who are having difficulty meeting our expectations. These behaviors often leave parents feeling frustrated, angry, overwhelmed, and desperate for answers. In this fully revised and updated book, Dr. Ross Greene helps you understand why and when your child does these things and how to respond in ways that are nonpunitive, nonadversarial, humane, and effective.
Dr. Greene describes how best to:
- Understand the factors that contribute to challenging episodes.
- Identify the specific situations in which challenging episodes are likely to occur.
- Reduce or eliminate challenging episodes by solving the problems that cause them.
- Solve problems collaboratively (rather than unilaterally) and proactively (rather than reactively).
- Help your child develop the skills to be more flexible, solve problems, and handle frustration more adaptively.
- Reduce hostility and antagonism between you and your child.
With Dr. Greene''s practical, expert guidance, you and your child will forge a new relationship based on communication and mutual respect.