Canadian Children''s Book Centre Our Choice,
Where did thoroughbreds come from?
Why do they call it a steeplechase?
What''s the difference between trotting and
Did you know that winning jockeys are weighed before
and after a race?
Experienced horsewoman Nikki Tate takes the reader behind the
scenes to examine the world of the racetrack.
- The history of horse racing from chariots to chuckwagons;
- An examination of the racing breeds from thoroughbreds to
- The role of the trainers, grooms, farriers, track vets, pony
riders, outriders, and paddock judges;
- Care of a horse at the racetrack;
- Horse equipment;
- The jockey''s training;
- What goes on in the racing office;
- How to read the program;
- How the starting gates work;
- Drug use and cheating; and
- A horse''s life after the racetrack.
An examination of horse racing from a history of the breeds
developed for the sport, through training and caring for horses at
the track, to the day of the race and beyond.