Canadian Children''s Book Centre Our Choice, 2009Where did thoroughbreds come from?
Why do they call it a steeplechase?
What''s the difference between trotting and pacing?
Did you know that winning jockeys are weighed before and after a race?
Experienced horsewoman Nikki Tate takes the reader behind the scenes to examine the world of the racetrack.
- The history of horse racing from chariots to chuckwagons;
- An examination of the racing breeds from thoroughbreds to quarter horses;
- The role of the trainers, grooms, farriers, track vets, pony riders, outriders, and paddock judges;
- Care of a horse at the racetrack;
- Horse equipment;
- The jockey''s training;
- What goes on in the racing office;
- How to read the program;
- How the starting gates work;
- Drug use and cheating; and
- A horse''s life after the racetrack.
An examination of horse racing from a history of the breeds developed for the sport, through training and caring for horses at the track, to the day of the race and beyond.