Put your local coffee bar to the test with Coffee
With thousands of coffee bars and restaurants serving an endless
variety of blends, roasts, and brews, ordering a specialty coffee
drink has become as daunting a task as selecting a fine wine. How
can you distinguish between great coffee and great hype? Read
Kevin Knox and Julie Sheldon Huffaker have filled this handy
reference with hundreds of industry truths and trade secrets.
You''ll learn the fundamentals of coffee buying, brewing, and
tasting; and develop an aficionado''s ability to see beyond the
expensive trappings of today''s coffee explosion. You''ll
- The basic coffee facts: its origin, history, and many
- Step-by-step methods for selecting, roasting, blending, and
flavoring coffee "to taste"
- A coffee taster''s glossary
- Simple charts showing grind progression, relative grinding
times, and regional characteristics
- The scoop on decaffeinated, organic, and espresso beans
- Specialty coffee recipes
- Lists of the best sources for beans and professional
Whether you make coffee at home or at a fine restaurant,
Coffee Basics offers a bottomless cup of brewing knowledge
and drinking pleasure.