Discover the satisfying art of cheese making in this updated edition.
This bestselling book has been designed to help you create wonderful cheeses that approximate the flavors and textures of many cheeses from around the world -- at home in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Discover and indulge in the taste of fresh handmade cheeses and experience the joy of creating outstanding food from a simple ingredient: fresh milk. These excellent recipes feature easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions that take the stress and guesswork out of creating artisanal-quality cheeses at home. You will find recipes for everything from fresh unripened cheeses to aged ones with complex rinds.
An enticing new cover, an all-new 32 page troubleshooting section, new step-by-step photos as well as the new inclusion of preparation times with each recipe will be welcomed by both novice
and experienced cheese makers.
Here's a sampling of some of the cheeses you can make:
- Fresh Cheeses: traditional Ricotta and fresh goat cheeses
- Stretched-Curd Cheeses: Bocconcini, Provolone and Mozzarella
- Mold-Ripened Cheeses: Brie, Camembert with Calvados
- Blue-Veined Cheeses: Gorgonzola, Roquefort, White Stilton
- Washed-Rind Cheeses: Muenster, Brick, Limburger
- Washed-Curd and Semisoft Cheeses: Colby, Edam, Fontina
- Semifirm and Hard Cheeses: Emmental, Jarlsberg, Cheddar
- Ethnic & Regional Cheeses: Feta, Paneer, Domiati
- Yogurt & Kefir:
Bulgarian-Style Yogurt, Kefir Cheese
- Butter, Buttermilk and Crème Fraîche: Orange Honey Butter, Clotted Cream
Rounding out this fantastic book are comprehensive descriptions of basic cheese-making steps and techniques along with information on and illustrations of all the necessary techniques, equipment and tools. It also chronicles the fascinating history of cheese along with serving and presentation instructions.