Paperback | September 16, 2014

byGretchen Mcneil

not yet rated|write a review

From Possess and Ten author Gretchen McNeil comes a deliciously eerie science fiction–horror story in the tradition of Lisa McMann's Wake trilogy and the movie Sliding Doors—now in paperback!

Josie Byrne's life is spiraling out of control. And just when she thinks it can't get worse, she starts having dreams about a girl named Jo. Every night at the same time—3:59 a.m. Jo's life is everything Josie wants: she's popular, her parents are happily married, and her boyfriend adores her. It all seems real, but they're just dreams, right? Josie thinks so, until she wakes one night to see a shadowy image of herself in the bedroom mirror. Except it's not her at all—it's Jo.

The two girls are doppelgängers whose universes overlap every twelve hours at 3:59. Fascinated by Jo's perfect world, Josie jumps at the chance to pass through the portal and switch places for a day. But Jo's world is far from perfect, and the stuff of nightmares lurks around every corner. And when Josie finds herself trapped there, her life becomes more dangerous—and more deadly—than she ever imagined.

Pricing and Purchase Info

$11.78 online
$12.50 list price (save 5%)
In stock online
Ships free on orders over $25
Prices may vary. why?
Please call ahead to confirm inventory.

From the Publisher

From Possess and Ten author Gretchen McNeil comes a deliciously eerie science fiction–horror story in the tradition of Lisa McMann's Wake trilogy and the movie Sliding Doors—now in paperback!Josie Byrne's life is spiraling out of control. And just when she thinks it can't get worse, she starts having dreams about a girl named Jo. Every...

From the Jacket

Josie Byrne's life is spiraling out of control. Her parents are divorcing, her boyfriend, Nick, has grown distant, and her physics teacher has it in for her. When she's betrayed by the people she trusts most, Josie thinks life can't get worse . . . until she starts having dreams about a girl named Jo every night at 3:59 a.m.Jo's life i...

Gretchen McNeil is an opera singer, a writer, and a clown. She is also the author ofGet Evenas well asTen, which was a 2013 YALSA Top Ten Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Adult Readers, aRomantic TimesTop Pick, and an ALABooklistTop Ten Horror Fiction for Youth and was nominated for Best Young Adult Contemporary Novel of 2012 byRomantic ...

other books by Gretchen Mcneil

I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl
I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl

Hardcover|Oct 18 2016

$21.96 online$21.99list price

Paperback|Sep 17 2013

$11.64 online$12.50list price(save 6%)

Paperback|Aug 21 2012

see all books by Gretchen Mcneil
Format:PaperbackDimensions:384 pages, 8 × 5.31 × 0.86 inPublished:September 16, 2014Publisher:HarperCollinsLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:006211882X

ISBN - 13:9780062118820

Rated 3 out of 5 by from Interesting and exciting but fell a bit flat This was an interesting concept and exciting enough to keep me engrossed in the story. I didn't think too hard about feasibility of the science involved because I'm not an expert in physics and it hurts my head but I suspect it is a bit sketchy. I wanted this to be entertaining not educational so I was perfectly happy to turn my brain off and go along for the ride. It was all pretty good until right at the end when a few things fell apart for me. 1. Insta-love. Sure they were in life and death situations together but they only knew each other for three days and were willing to give up their whole universes for each other. It was a little unbelievable. 2. When they were making out on the lab floor after the Nox attack I kept thinking about the shredded corpse in the room but they were apparently so wrapped up in each other that they forgot all about it. Ick! Definitely not the situation I would choose for sexy-times! 3. At the end when Josie is contemplating which world to live in she decides "She'd do whatever he wanted her to, stay or go." So much for having a strong heroine! My opinion of her just went out the window! Despite these issues I did enjoy the story and it was quite fast paced and exciting but I was left a little disappointed.
Date published: 2015-05-10
Rated 3 out of 5 by from Three Stars I was initially excited to start this book, as it got reasonable hype. The idea sounded cool and I really like doppelgangers on The Vampire Diaries, which is why I hoped I would like this one too! To my happiness, it did not disappoint. My reactions kind of changed throughout the book, which isn't a bad thing! Not even in the slightest. First, I thought "oh, this has a lot of drama" because things happen at the beginning that make it sound more like a contemporary. Then things turned for the weird and I was like "that's fine, but I'm going to need some kind of explanation." However, that made me regret it because I got this truckload of science around the middle. I actually hate science because I find it really boring and I don't get it (most of the time). After that passed, it kind of went to this shocking moment (that wasn't all that shocking) where I was mildly surprised. Finally I went from that to heartbroken in .2 seconds and then the book closed. This book was very feels-inducing, as you can probably tell by my whirlwind of emotions. It was also very straightforward (seeming) and then the ending was pretty turny, though I suspected it a little. The plot was okay, if not a bit tiring in some spots. I felt like there was drama that didn't need to be there. I don't mind teen drama but this story had a cool theme that kind of became less cool because of the drama. To be honest, I didn't really like the characters. They were tolerable, but I just didn't like them. Sometimes they'd say things that were really intelligent and others they were so stupid. But they were tolerable which doesn't usually happen. I'm typically the love/hate kind of person which is why this is strange. However, I can say that they added to the story in ways where they were more than just boring plot devices. So that's a plus. 3:59 was kind of neutral for me. Usually I have loads to say (good and bad) about books, however there isn't too much. I liked it and it gave me feels, but that's about it. I didn't really have criticism for much nor did I have dislike. I'm hoping to go read another of McNeil's books because I've heard they're scary. I'm into scary!
Date published: 2015-01-03
Rated 4 out of 5 by from another good book from McNeil Pretty decent book from McNeil again. This is my second book from her, the first being "Ten". I liked the characters there was enough material to like them but not enough to get attached. A good book to read on the beach or an in between book. It's an easy read with a straight plot and a few thrown in twists. I figured a few out, but whoa the ending kinda caught me off guard. Some of the terms were a bit scientific for me, so I assume McNeil did some research. So it doesn't make the book too teenie bopperish or cliches. I think I'm definitely going to check out more of McNeil's books. I like the way she writes and her plots are pretty interesting. Her books are great because after finishing reading any over developed, intense, mind boggling books her always feels like a vacation. Mindless easy reading!!! I love her books though.
Date published: 2014-11-17

Extra Content

Editorial Reviews

Praise for POSSESS: “With demons, secrets, and a butt-kicking heroine, POSSESS is a whole lotta dark and twisted fun!”