Meticulously researched and illustrated with color photographs, Insects is a landmark reference book that is ideal for any naturalist or entomologist. To enhance exact identification of insects, the photographs in this encyclopedic reference were taken in the field -- and are not pinned specimens.
Insects enables readers to identify most insects quickly and accurately. The more than 50 pages of picture keys lead to the appropriate chapter and specific photos to confirm identification. The keys are surprisingly comprehensive and easy for non-specialists to use.
- Detailed chapters covering all insect orders and the insect families of eastern North America
- A brief examination of common families of related terrestrial arthropods
- 4,000 color photographs illustrating typical behaviors and key characteristics
- 28 picture keys for quick and accurate insect identification
- Three indexes -- common family names, photographs, general index
- Expert guidance on observing, collecting and photographing insects.
Almost 80 percent of all named animal species are insects and closely related arthropods. This book is required reading for anyone interested in entomology.