A Sailor's Sweetheart (volume 2); An Account Of The Wreck Of The Sailing Ship "waldershare," From The Narrative Of Mr. William Lee, Second Mate by William Clark RussellA Sailor's Sweetheart (volume 2); An Account Of The Wreck Of The Sailing Ship "waldershare," From The Narrative Of Mr. William Lee, Second Mate by William Clark Russell

A Sailor's Sweetheart (volume 2); An Account Of The Wreck Of The Sailing Ship "waldershare," From…

byWilliam Clark Russell

Paperback | February 1, 2012

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Earn 140 plum® points

Out of stock online

Not available in stores

about

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1881. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER IX. H.M.S.. Although we were heading a course that, if persisted in, instead of taking us to Valparaiso, would carry us into the Antarctic zone, yet the further we trended to the eastwards the greater would be the number of ships we were likely to meet with; for, although I do not say that it is utterly impossible for two men to work a brig of two hundred tons, yet I am quite sure that such an undertaking would be terribly full of risk in the event of squally weather, and I was therefore extremely anxious to meet a ship to obtain assistance out of her. Moreover, my anxiety to speak a vessel was increased by the want of a sextant. Added to this, Nelly was so badly off for clothes that she had nothing to wear but what she stood in, and there was always the chance of a ship having a woman on board--either the captain's wife, or a passenger--who would be willing to sell me a change of linen for Nelly. You smile; and indeed these are strange things for a man to talk about; but let me tell you that in such a situation as we were in, it is the homely things which fill one's thoughts and make up the bitter interests of the days. Whilst Matthews lay sleeping on the mattress on deck, I gave Nelly the wheel to hold, and procuring some paper, I ruled and prepared a form for my dead reckoning, with lines for the time, course, wind, and speed as shown by the reel-log. This done, I nailed it against the bulkhead by the cabin door, and slung a pencil alongside of it, and entered upon it the day on which we had left the island and the hour; and I very well remember as I went on deck deploring that science had not furnished the mariner with a more exact and easy method of determining the speed of a ship than the clumsy old-fashioned reel-log, that requires three me...
Title:A Sailor's Sweetheart (volume 2); An Account Of The Wreck Of The Sailing Ship "waldershare," From…Format:PaperbackDimensions:78 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.16 inPublished:February 1, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217156460

ISBN - 13:9780217156462

Reviews