Pricing and Purchase Info

$11.99

Earn 60 plum® points

In stock online

Ships free on orders over $25

Available in stores

about

LEARNING TO LISTEN
Shoya is a bully. When Shoko, a girl who can’t hear, enters his elementary school class, she becomes their favorite target, and Shoya and his friends goad each other into devising new tortures for her. But the children’s cruelty goes too far. Shoko is forced to leave the school, and Shoya ends up shouldering all the blame. Six years later, the two meet again. Can Shoya make up for his  past mistakes, or is it too late?

Read the manga industry insiders voted their favorite of 2014!

“A very powerful story about being different and the consequences of childhood bullying… Read it.” -Anime News Network
“The word heartwarming was made for manga like this.” -Manga Bookshelf
Title:A Silent Voice 1Format:PaperbackDimensions:192 pages, 7.5 × 5 × 0.65 inPublished:May 26, 2015Publisher:Kodansha ComicsLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:163236056X

ISBN - 13:9781632360564

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of A Silent Voice 1

Reviews

Rated 5 out of 5 by from Sad but Beautiful The artwork in this series is outstanding and the plot is just as beautiful!
Date published: 2017-09-10
Rated 5 out of 5 by from emotional serie I have finally watched the movie of "a silent voice" and was very curious about the manga. I recommend this great series to "slice of life" fans, beware very emotional scenes.
Date published: 2017-08-07
Rated 5 out of 5 by from A Great Start to the Series After seeing the trailer for the movie,I decided to read the manga first, and this first volume is a really strong start! I had so many strong feelings while reading #1 and fell in love with the story, I had to go out and buy #2 and 3 right after!
Date published: 2017-05-05
Rated 5 out of 5 by from great a very popular series and has a great story line
Date published: 2017-04-29
Rated 3 out of 5 by from Not What I Expected I honestly wanted to like this a lot more than I did. The art is beautiful and the story is very important because it deals with the implications of bullying from the perspective of both the bullies and the bullied. It also has a character who is deaf which is very rare for manga to legitimately deal with disabilities, and thankfully it is done really well. I appreciate that this is a very good manga, I think it just had so much hype about how amazing it is that I was expecting more from it and unfortunately it didn't live up to my high expectations.
Date published: 2017-03-07
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Phenomenal writing about bullying and redemption A Silent Voice's first volume is not a comfortable read. The story follows protagonists Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya, Shoya is a bored kid that just wants to have thrills. He’s isn't a likable person, but he's a very believable and fully constructed one, which helps keep the story sympathetic as it introduces its second protagonist, Shoko. She’s the new girl in class, a girl whose deafness makes her an immediate target of interest and ultimately resentment, especially for Shoya. The first volume is slow and mean, full of small violence that make you wince and cringe. That's not necessarily a bad thing though; in fact, it's often the best stories that make you uncomfortable, that make you care enough to feel pained by their characters' struggles. And this is a story all about the ugly side of childhood. Shoko's steady good spirit in spite of everything makes these chapters both relatable and heartbreaking, a strong and heavy combination. A Silent Voice's writing is phenomenal, its unglamourous insight into people as satisfying as it is uncomfortable. The art isn't quite as much of a standout, but it's still very solid; the character designs have a great deal of personality. Again the faces (Shoya) aren't as widely expressive as they could be, they're still distinctive and often beautiful. More impressive are the characters' broad physical gestures, which both convey character well and are fortunately up to the task of articulating sign language with both clarity and personality. #plumreview
Date published: 2017-02-10
Rated 5 out of 5 by from A Different Take On Romance A different take on romance manga. This manga was a fresh take on romance manga that I hadn't read before. If you are an avid reader of manga or a newbie I highly recommend it either way.
Date published: 2017-02-05
Rated 5 out of 5 by from One of the BEST!! Most interesting and emotional roller coaster!
Date published: 2017-01-12
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Being a kid sucked With how much we wish to be kids again, we forget that it used to really suck. A silent voice does a good job of depicting the worst parts of childhood that many can relate to. How one moment you can be having fun, laughing with your friends and the next they will be the first ones to throw you under the bus when you get in trouble. And even though you are mad at them you know that you are not without blame either. Because as a child there will always be things you will never understand. The manga does this by having the bully be the main character who's actions are not only terrible but are encouraged by his peers and ignored by the teacher, which does happen in real life. When he does end up getting into trouble for the bullying, the adults never explain to him what he did wrong obviously leaving him confused when he suddenly becomes the focus for bullying. Yet the story does not only show focus on the bully but the victim as well and shows how she really doesn't understand why her classmates are picking on her because a lot of the time with kids the reason may be really shallow. But even with everyone being mean to her she is nice towards everyone and tries her hardest to reach out and be friends with the main bully. Eventually it leads to a big moment of frustration from both characters where they are unable to reach out to each other even though in the end they are in very similar situations. The ending is kind of bittersweet with both characters departing by the end.
Date published: 2017-01-09
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Amazing!! I loved the story that was for told in this manga and I can't wait to see the movie adaption of it.
Date published: 2017-01-08
Rated 5 out of 5 by from One of the Best Manga Ever! This is hands down one of the best mangas ever! I can't wait for the movie adaptation to be released on DVD/Bluray so I can finally see it!
Date published: 2017-01-02
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Forgiveness This series was definitely tear-jerking and I honestly loved it! The plot was very interesting and gets you hooked up from the very beginning. You end up feeling for the characters and understand what they are going through. Although, this manga isn't all sad! It's very beautifully told and there IS a very cute and interesting romance within it that adds to the feels. So I really recommend this manga if you're up for the emotional roller coaster and amazing plot and characters!
Date published: 2016-11-29
Rated 5 out of 5 by from This book is great I got it at the bookstore this month and it was a really good book. The drawings are sooo pretty and the story is kinda sad #plumreview
Date published: 2016-11-21
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Amazing! A Silent Voice is easily one of my favourite slice of life manga series to exist, everyone should read it.
Date published: 2016-11-18
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Phenomenal writting about the nglamourous insight into teens bullying A Silent Voice's first volume is not a comfortable read. The story follows protagonists Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya, Shoya is a bored kid that just wants to have thrills. He’s isn't a likable person, but he's a very believable and fully constructed one, which helps keep the story sympathetic as it introduces its second protagonist, Shoko. She’s the new girl in class, a girl whose deafness makes her an immediate target of interest and ultimately resentment, especially for Shoya. The first volume is slow and mean, full of small violence that make you wince and cringe. That's not necessarily a bad thing though; in fact, it's often the best stories that make you uncomfortable, that make you care enough to feel pained by their characters' struggles. And this is a story all about the ugly side of childhood. Shoko's steady good spirit in spite of everything makes these chapters both relatable and heartbreaking, a strong and heavy combination. A Silent Voice's writing is phenomenal, its unglamourous insight into people as satisfying as it is uncomfortable. The art isn't quite as much of a standout, but it's still very solid; the character designs have a great deal of personality (though the choice to give Shoko dot-eyes somewhat limits his expressiveness relative to the others). A Silent Voice's writing is phenomenal, its unglamourous insight into people as satisfying as it is uncomfortable. The art isn't quite as much of a standout, but it's still very solid; the character designs have a great deal of personality (though the choice to give Shoko dot-eyes somewhat limits his expressiveness relative to the others).
Date published: 2016-11-17
Rated 5 out of 5 by from A tragic story I first came across the comic on the internet. I started reading it and I felt like I wanted to cry, knowing what the characters were going through. I think it sends a great message to it's readers about bullying and the consequence of it. #plumreview
Date published: 2016-11-12
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Deep I enjoyed this series a lot, I think that the story addresses very important issues that have only more recently been more openly portrayed. I would say that there's a lot of different emotions going on in this series.
Date published: 2016-11-09
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Redemption and Heartbreak I have been following this manga through Japanese print and I am overjoyed that it has been serialized for North America. Without trying to spoil too much, the story follows protagonists Shoya Ishida & Shoko Nishimiya, whom ladder of which is deaf. During the first two chapters it depicts how badly Shoya bullies Shoko. After which there is a time skip and Shoya struggles with his guilt and tries to make amends for his deeds. It is beautifully written and drawn. The author isn't afraid to approach issues such as bulling and suicides and has even been approved and supported by the Japanese Federation of the Deaf. Be prepared for tears and a wonderful story. I plan on getting every single volume and I highly suggest this manga to fans of drama, slice of life and avid manga enthusiasts.
Date published: 2014-12-03