A Woman-hater Volume 14

Paperback | October 12, 2012

byCharles Reade

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1908 edition. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER V The letters were brought in: one was to Vizard, from Herries, announcing a remittance; one to Lord Uxmoor. On reading it, he was surprised into an exclamation, and his face expressed great concern. "Oh!" said Zoe--" Harrington!" Harrington's attention being thus drawn, he said, "No bad news, I hope?" "Yes," said Uxmoor, in a low voice, "very bad. My oldest, truest, dearest friend has been seized with smallpox, and his life is in danger. He has asked for me, poor fellow. This is from his sister. I must start by the twelve o'clock train." "Small-pox! why, it is contagious!" cried Fanny; "and so disfiguring!" "I can't help that," said the honest fellow; and instantly rang the bell for his servant, and gave the requisite orders. Zoe, whose eye had never left him all the time, said softly, "It is brave and good of you. We poor, emotional, cowardly girls should sit down and cry." "You would not, Miss Vizard," said he firmly, looking full at her. "If you think you would, you don't know yourself." Zoe coloured high and was silent. Then Lord Uxmoor showed the true English gentleman. "I do hope," said he earnestly, though in a somewhat broken voice, "that you will not let this spoil the pleasure we had planned together. Harrington will be my deputy." "Well, I don't know," said Harrington sympathisingly. Mr. Severne remarked, "Such an occurrence puts pleasure out of one's head." This he said, with his eyes on his plate, like one repeating a lesson. "Vizard, I entreat you," said Uxmoor, almost vexed. "It will only make me more unhappy if you don't." "We will go," cried Zoe earnestly; "we promise to go. What does it matter? We shall think of you and your poor friend wherever we are. And I shall pray for him. But, ah! I know how little...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$33.50

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1908 edition. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER V The letters were brought in: one was to Vizard, from Herries, announcing a remittance; one to Lord U...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:150 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.32 inPublished:October 12, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217435718

ISBN - 13:9780217435710

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of A Woman-hater Volume 14

Reviews