Academy 7

Paperback | May 14, 2009

byAnne Osterlund

not yet rated|write a review
With a past too terrible to speak of, and a bleak, lonely future ahead of her, Aerin Renning is shocked to find she has earned a place at the most exclusive school in the universe. Aerin excels at Academy 7 in all but debate, where Dane Madousin?son of one of the most powerful men in the Alliance? consistently outtalks her. Fortunately Aerin consistently outwits him at sparring. They are at the top of their class until Dane jeopardizes everything and Aerin is unintentionally dragged down with him. When the pair is given a joint punishment, an unexpected friendship?and romance?begins to form. But Dane and Aerin both harbor dangerous secrets, and the two are linked in ways neither of them could ever have imagined. . . .

Pricing and Purchase Info

$10.99

In stock online
Ships free on orders over $25

From the Publisher

With a past too terrible to speak of, and a bleak, lonely future ahead of her, Aerin Renning is shocked to find she has earned a place at the most exclusive school in the universe. Aerin excels at Academy 7 in all but debate, where Dane Madousin?son of one of the most powerful men in the Alliance? consistently outtalks her. Fortunately...

Anne Osterlund lives in Ione, Oregon.

other books by Anne Osterlund

Exile
Exile

Kobo ebook|Apr 28 2011

$9.99

Salvation
Salvation

Kobo ebook|Jan 10 2013

$9.99

see all books by Anne Osterlund
Format:PaperbackDimensions:272 pages, 8.3 × 5.4 × 0.7 inPublished:May 14, 2009Publisher:Penguin Young Readers GroupLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0142414379

ISBN - 13:9780142414378

Appropriate for ages: 13 - 17

Customer Reviews of Academy 7

Reviews

Rated 5 out of 5 by from Great Absolutely love this book! Such a great new interesting look into sci-fi; an interesting new genre...completely new. I highly suggest this book to anyone definitely worth the read.
Date published: 2015-08-02
Rated 2 out of 5 by from Welcome to Academy 7. Prepare to be disappointed. Aerin and Dane place top among fifty students taking the Academy Entrance Exams and are selected to join the first-year class of the most prestigious school in the universe. Graduates of the school are accepted as members of the Alliance, which is the largest government in the universe. This is a futuristic book, the school is in its 5021st year. Space ships are used as transportation to and from planets of the multiple star systems, there’s advanced technology, etc. Clearly we’re not in 2012 anymore. I had no idea this book was that futuristic…I just assumed it was a couple decades in the future after reading a few reviews. Obviously I was wrong on that one. I found this book to be a let down. I liked the idea of it, it just wasn’t executed right. I wish there was more of a focus on Dane and Aerin’s relationship and its development. I sort of felt like one minute they were “arguing” (it you could call it that) and the next they were “friends”. I wish it was more gradual. A big reason this one didn’t do it for me was the lack of excitement and/or suspense. There was never any fear that everything wouldn’t turn out all right. Also, there was a lot of talk about the politics of the different planets and the trading Union, etc. It killed it for me because it was boring and I didn’t want to hear about trade agreements. Another thing that bothered me were the time lapses. Four and three weeks would go by like nothing. It was just thrown out there which made it feel forced and rushed. The book was sort of a disappointment. From the characters, to the ending, it could have been amped up to a whole different level.
Date published: 2012-04-14
Rated 3 out of 5 by from An enjoyable short read Academy 7 is an elite school where only the best students in the entire universe can attend. Getting into the school is not only hard, but staying inside each year is tougher than it seems. When Aerin receives her acceptance letter to Academy 7, she is unsure what to make of it. She knows that this school is her chance at a future she thought she could never have, but her dark past and dangerous secret could ruin her life forever. Dane, on the other hand, took the test for Academy 7 just to spite his father, one of the most powerful generals in the universe. When he is accepted to the school, he isn't surprised to learn of his father's anger at him. The two students, with different reasons to stay, are surprised by the other's will and determination. They compete in every class they share, but their annoyance at each other soon turns to friendship, and eventually to love. But as the term goes by, they soon discover that each of them are hiding something from the other, and what they don't expect is that their histories are linked in the most surprising ways. Academy 7 was an enjoyable light read with strong characters and their own history. It was nice to see Aerin's and Dane's relationship grow as they discovered their past and how their secrets are linked to each other. I liked reading this book after all those series because this novel was such a breath of fresh air. The characters were dynamic, the story was well-written with its futuristic background, and the ending was sweet. 3.5 stars.
Date published: 2010-03-22
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Great Book! This book grabbed my attention from the first few lines and held it till the last. Always the sign of a good book in my opinion.
Date published: 2009-09-22
Rated 3 out of 5 by from A decent book for older children or adolescents (The Chapters-Indigo website has been deleting my ratings so: I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars/leaves.) This book was an enjoyable read and I woudl say that for older children and adolescents, it would be a good read. (This is not a negative comment: I personally enjoy reading literature designed for any age group, as long as it's well written.) On the more negative side, I will say that while generally acceptable as a novel it was not 'great'. In particular, I found the resolution to the mystery at the center of the novel to be somewhat disappointing (my reaction to this was actually rather along the lines of, "That's it?"). IMHO if there is buildup in a novel, no matter what age group it is destined for there needs to be a 'payoff' in order for the reader not to feel cheated, and this was the particular weakness of this book. Still, this was a decent read overall. Similar recommended titles (given here because of the weird problems I've been having with the Chapters/Indigo website and which they STILL haven't fixed): -The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins -The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, by E. Lockhart -Perfect Chemistry, by Simone Elkeles -Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer
Date published: 2009-08-11
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Futuristic Adventure with Mystery and Romance. This book captured me from the first line. I loved the futuristic setting and competitive main characters. Lots of action and mystery intermingled with romance keeps you reading to the end. Enjoy!
Date published: 2009-05-22