Adam to Abraham Volume 1

Paperback | May 5, 2014

bySabine Baring-Gould

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1871 edition. Excerpt: ... V. ADAM AND EVE AFTER THE FALL. When Adam reached the earth, the Eagle said to the Whale, with whom it had hitherto lived in the closest intimacy, "Now we must part, for there is no safety for us animals since man has come amongst us. The deepest abysses of ocean must be thy refuge, and thou must protect thyself with cunning from the great foe who has entered the earth. I must soar high above the clouds, and there find a place of escape from him who is destined to be my pursuer till death."1 According to certain cabbalistic Rabbis, Adam, when cast out of Eden, was precipitated into Gehenna, but he escaped therefrom to earth, by repeating and pronouncing properly the mystic word Laverererareri.2 In the Talmud it is related that when Adam heard the words of God, "Thou shall eat the herb of the field" (Gen. iii. 18), he trembled in all his limbs, and exclaimed, "O Lord of all the world! I and my beast, the Ass, shall have to eat out of the same manger!" But God said to him, because he trembled,," Thou shalt eat bread in the sweat of thy brow."3 Learned Rabbis assert that the angel Raphael had instructed Adam in all kinds of knowledge out of a book, and this book contained mighty mysteries which the highest angels could not fathom, and knew not; and before the Fall the angels used to assemble in crowds, and listen to Adam instructing them in hidden wisdom. In that book were seventy-two parts and six hundred and seventy writings, and all this was known; but from the middle of the book to the end were the one thousand five hundred hidden secrets of Wisdom, and these Adam began to reveal to the angels till he was arrested by the angel Haddarniel. This book Adam preserved and read in daily; but when he had sinned, it fled out of his hands and...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$11.50

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1871 edition. Excerpt: ... V. ADAM AND EVE AFTER THE FALL. When Adam reached the earth, the Eagle said to the Whale, with whom it had hit...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:74 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.15 inPublished:May 5, 2014Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217502067

ISBN - 13:9780217502061

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Adam to Abraham Volume 1

Reviews