Paperback | February 5, 2012

not yet rated|write a review

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Earn 140 plum® points

Out of stock online

Not available in stores

about

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1873. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER III. A GOOD-BYE. So Josquin had guessed rightly the meaning of von Plauen's sudden movement of passion towards him that morning, and as he drove away by the side of his aunt he had gloomy reflections enough to make him absent, while the lady talked unconscious of his abstraction. Fraulein von Gasparein was romantic and vague. She was also very much afraid of her elder sister; and though she felt that she ought to be sounding the depths of her nepheV's mind with the phrases she had made beforehand, calculated to impress his softened heart, she could only find expressions of astonishment at the unconventional manner and appearance of his chosen friend. 'My poor boy! your father, I know, always had a predilection for singers--even dancers, but this woman, with her farouctie air, her strange figure, absolument sans cerceau,' she said, sorrowfully shaking her head, 'makes me think that even in your tastes for the fair sex you young men of the present are sadly degenerate.' Josquin thought it wise to turn the conversation to the baths of Saxony, which his aunts had been visiting, and soon they drove up to the door of the Gasthaus. As he followed her up the steps, he cursed his folly for having run into this purgatory. But he was under a debt of gratitude for his paid rent. It was better to be polite for half an hour, and have done. His aunt said they returned to Vienna in a fortnight. But within that time they would assist at Cecile's wedding. Josquin hardly realised to himself how he longed to have news of her. Just before entering the house Aunt Brigitta paused. She looked terribly perplexed. 'My dear young man, you arc sorry not to have been with us all this while? You will try to please my sisters? They are less indulgent than I.... But come, come, ...

Details & Specs

Title:Alcestis (volume 1)Format:PaperbackDimensions:86 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.18 inPublished:February 5, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217169600

ISBN - 13:9780217169608

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Alcestis (volume 1)

Reviews