American Dis-union (volume 2); Constitutional Or Unconstitutional?. A Reply To Mr. James Spence…

Paperback | January 15, 2012

byCharles Edward Rawlins

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1862. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... V. THE CONSTITUTION, LEGISLATIVE AND EXECUTIVE. ARTICLE I. Section I. All Legislative powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives. Section II.--1. The House of Representatives shall be composed of members chosen every second year by the people of the several States; and the electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State Legislature. Section III.--1. The Senate of the United.States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, chosen by the Legislature thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote. 4. The Vice-President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no vote unless they be equally divided. These clauses of the Constitution strongly indicate its real character. When, in the Virginian Convention, Patrick Henry laboured to show that the proposed Constitution implied a consolidated Government, Madison thus replied: " I myself conceive, that it is of a mixed nature; it is, in a manner, unprecedented. We cannot find one express prototype in the experience of the world: it stands by itself. In some respects it is a Government of a Federal nature; in others it is of a consolidated nature."1 And De Tocqueville thus describes it: " In this case the central Power acts directly upon those whom it governs, whom it rules, and whom it judges, in the same manner as, but in a more limited circle than, a National Government. Here the term Federal Government is clearly no longer applicable to a state of things which must be styled an incomplete National Government; a form of government has been found out which is neither exactly National nor Federal; but no further ...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$19.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1862. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... V. THE CONSTITUTION, LEGISLATIVE AND EXECUTIVE. ARTICLE I. Section I. All Legislative powers herein granted shall be vested in a Cong...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:48 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.1 inPublished:January 15, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217637183

ISBN - 13:9780217637183

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of American Dis-union (volume 2); Constitutional Or Unconstitutional?. A Reply To Mr. James Spence Upon The Question "is Secession A Constitutional Right

Reviews