Anne Of Geierstein (volume 2); Or, The Maiden Of The Mist

Paperback | October 12, 2012

byWalter Scott

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1829 edition. Excerpt: ...maintained by towing boats up the stream, to such a height on the eastern side, that the lee-way which they made during the voyage across might correspond with the point at which they desired to arrive, and enable them to attain it with ease. Hence, it naturally happened, that the passage from Alsace into Suabia being the most easy, the ferry was more used by those who were desirous of entering Germany, than by travellers who came in an opposite direction. When the elder Philipson had by a glance around him ascertained the situation of the ferry, ho said firmly to his son,--" Begone, my dear Arthur, and do what I have commanded thee." With a heart rent with filial anxiety, the young man obeyed, and took his solitary course towards the cottages, near which the barks were moored, which were occasionally used for fishing, as well as for the purposes of the ferry. " Your son leaves us?" said Bartholomew to the elder Philipson. " He does for the present," said his father, " as he has certain inquiries to make in yonder hamlet." " If they be," answered the guide, " any matters connected with your honour's road, I laud the Saints that I can better answer your inquiries than those ignorant boors, who hardly understand your language." " If we find that their information needs thy commentary," said Philipson, " we will request it--meanwhile, lead on to the chapel, where my son will join us." They moved towards the chapel, but with slow steps, each turning his looks aside to the fishing hamlet; the guide as if striving to see whether the younger traveller was returning towards them, the father anxious to descry, on the broad bosom of the Rhine, a sail unloosed, to waft his son across to that which might be considered as the safer side. But though...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1829 edition. Excerpt: ...maintained by towing boats up the stream, to such a height on the eastern side, that the lee-way which they mad...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:60 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.12 inPublished:October 12, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217439497

ISBN - 13:9780217439497

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Anne Of Geierstein (volume 2); Or, The Maiden Of The Mist

Reviews