Britain in Revolution: 1625-1660

Paperback | August 24, 2004

byAustin Woolrych

not yet rated|write a review
This is the definitive history of the English Civil War, set in its full historical context from the accession of Charles I to the Restoration of Charles II. These were the most turbulent years of British history and their reverberations have been felt down the centuries. Throughout the middledecades of the seventeenth century England, Scotland, and Ireland were convulsed by political upheaval and wracked by rebellion and civil war. The Stuart monarchy was in abeyance for twenty years in all three kingdoms, and Charles I famously met his death on the scaffold. Austin Woolrych breathes life back into the story of these years, the sweep of his prose buttressed by the authority of a lifetime's scholarship. He captures the drama and the passion, the momentum of events and the force of contingency. He brilliantly interweaves the history of the three kingdomsand their peoples, gripping the reader with the fast-paced yet always balanced story.

Pricing and Purchase Info

$105.00

Ships within 1-3 weeks
Ships free on orders over $25

From the Publisher

This is the definitive history of the English Civil War, set in its full historical context from the accession of Charles I to the Restoration of Charles II. These were the most turbulent years of British history and their reverberations have been felt down the centuries. Throughout the middledecades of the seventeenth century England,...

Austin Woolrych is an Emeritus Professor of History, University of Lancaster.

other books by Austin Woolrych

England Without a King 1649-60
England Without a King 1649-60

Kobo ebook|Jan 28 2008

$40.62

Format:PaperbackDimensions:842 pages, 9.21 × 6.14 × 1.75 inPublished:August 24, 2004Publisher:Oxford University PressLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0199272689

ISBN - 13:9780199272686

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Britain in Revolution: 1625-1660

Reviews

Extra Content

Table of Contents

PrologueI: Background and Beginnings 1625-16401. King Charles's Inheritance, i: Three Kingdoms, Three Peoples2. King Charles's Inheritance, ii: The Matter of Religion3. The New Reign4. Storm over Scotland5. The Bishops' WarsII: War in Three Kingdoms 1640-16466. Climacteric7. Three Kingdoms in Crisis8. The Blast of War9. The Conflict Widens10. Towards a ResolutionIII: Towards a Kingless Britain 1646-164911. Between Two Wars12. Climacteric II: 'Not a Mere Mercenary Army'13. The Second Civil War14. Quest for a SettlementIV: The Commonwealth 1649-165315. The Commonwealth at War16. The Commonwealth in Crisis17. 'A Story of My Own Weakness and Folly'?V: Cromwell's Protectorate 1653-165818. A New Order in Three Nations19. The First Phase of Cromwellian Rule20. 'A Single Person and a Parliament'21. Royalists in Arms, Swordsmen in the Saddle22. King or Constable?23. The Protectorate in Scotland, Ireland, and Europe24. Unfinished BusinessVI: The Collapse of the Good Old Cause 1658-166025. The Overthrow of the Protectorate26. The Commonwealth Restored27. The Monarchy RestoredEpilogueFurther ReadingIndex

Editorial Reviews

`the masterwork of a highly distinguished historian'History