Cakes And Ale (volume 2)

Paperback | February 3, 2012

byDouglas William Jerrold

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1852. Excerpt: ... CAKES AND ALE. THE LESSON OF LIFE. CHAPTER I. An old, white-haired man watched at the bedside of his sleeping lord. The room, richly appointed, gave token of the voluptuous tastes, the unbounded wealth of its possessor. Gorgeous hangings, stiff with gold, adorned the walls--odours of precious price burned in the chamber. It was near noon, and still the master slept: the old man, with folded hands and saddening face, sighed as he gazed upon him. "Hush!" cried the watcher, and hurried from the bed as a youth rushed into the chamber--" Hush! softly--softly, for your life. Our master sleeps." "I'll not believe it--I can't believe it," cried the youth indignantly, and he sought to approach the bed. "Ernest! boy! what wouldst do?" exclaimed the old man, vainly endeavouring to hold the intruder. "I pray thee, pause--what wouldst do?" "Be satisfied he cannot sleep," replied Ernest, " or, if indeed he can, behold an awful sight, a bad man in his dreams. Look!" and the youth approached the bed, and smiling bitterly, pointed to his master. "Hush! I told you he did sleep." "Sleep!" echoed the youth, and still he pointed to the distorted features, the writhing limbs of the dreamer. "Alack!" cried the attendant, "some fearful dream,--"See," and, grasping the old man, the youth held him B motionless--" see, how his throat works as if some snake were round it--mark, how his feet dig into the bed, and his reeking hands gripe the covering! Look, how his face grows bruised and livid! Big drops run down it,--and now his gnashing teeth grin out in horrid whiteness." "Alack!" cried the old man, and he strove to free himself from the grasp of Ernest--" alack! 'tis terrible--I will awake him." "No!" exclaimed the boy resolutely. "Boy! see you not it is some vision that so shakes...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$31.95

On re-order online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1852. Excerpt: ... CAKES AND ALE. THE LESSON OF LIFE. CHAPTER I. An old, white-haired man watched at the bedside of his sleeping lord. The room, ...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:138 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.3 inPublished:February 3, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:021734299X

ISBN - 13:9780217342995

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Cakes And Ale (volume 2)

Reviews