Campaigns of 1862 and 1863, Illustrating the Principles of Strategy by Emil SchalkCampaigns of 1862 and 1863, Illustrating the Principles of Strategy by Emil Schalk

Campaigns of 1862 and 1863, Illustrating the Principles of Strategy

byEmil Schalk

Paperback | January 30, 2012

not yet rated|write a review

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Earn 140 plum® points

On re-order online

Not available in stores

about

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1863. Excerpt: ... CAMPAIGN OF 1862. Before entering on the discussion of this campaign, we will give a short and simple narrative of it. I have no other sources of information at my disposal than the accounts published by the press of the country, and hence some of the details, as well as some of the dates and figures, may have been incorrectly stated. The reader must excuse such mistakes, if there are any; the more so, as the description of the campaign is not intended for a history, but merely for the text of a strictly military criticism. Besides, I design merely to discuss the great movements, and not to enter into details of battles or of smaller operations. It will therefore be of little or no importance if some of the petty details should have been omitted or inaccurately set down. To render the discussion more easily understood, and to give a view of the whole of the past campaign, I have added a map on which will be found the positions of the armies, and the principal lines of operation of these armies during the campaign of 1862. The year 1861 had closed with enormous preparations for this campaign. With recruiting, manufacturing of arms, organizing regiments and armies, the latter months of 1861 had passed away; and the new year found an immense army and navy, created from almost nothing, ready to take the field. The fear of foreign intervention, called forth by the Trent affair, had subsided; and we find the principal actors in the great drama everywhere engaged in giving the last touches to the vast preparations and armaments just ready to be launched against the Southern Confederacy. The fleet had taken the advance of the army, and was already fully engaged in accomplishing its part in the great struggle. The blockade and shutting up of the Southern harbors w...

Details & Specs

Title:Campaigns of 1862 and 1863, Illustrating the Principles of StrategyFormat:PaperbackDimensions:64 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.13 inPublished:January 30, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217820476

ISBN - 13:9780217820479

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Campaigns of 1862 and 1863, Illustrating the Principles of Strategy

Reviews