Canteening Overseas, 1917-1919

Paperback | February 4, 2012

byMarian Baldwin

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1920. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER II PABIS En route from Bordeaux to Paris, July 18th, 1917. On landing yesterday I went straight to the H6tel de France and it certainly was good to have room to turn around in: as for a bed with real springs I greeted it with enthusiasm! Towards evening Frank and I took a long walk about the city. A port town always interests me and we saw it all at the loveliest time of day. The harbor was full of fishing smacks and small craft of all kinds and exquisite tones in the sails and rigging. The last rays of the sun cast a rosy hue over everything, making one think at once of Venice and the days before the war. Later we wandered through some of the oldest parts of Bordeaux and I really felt that I was abroad again! The narrow winding streets and cobblestones, with here and there an ancient facade or doorway and everywhere, in the poorest alleys, a bit of a vine or potted plant in the windows. How do they manage to make it all so picturesque and alluring? The women and the old men are doing everything and it is surprising to see the lady conductors. On is train they use women entirely, even in the dining car. The war hasn't robbed them of vivacity or their beautiful complexions and I believe they are even prettier in their simple black working clothes than before. We are at present passing through the famous vineyards and I have never seen the country look so beautiful. The crops seem in perfect condition, thanks to the patient labor of these wonderful women, and the grain waves in profusion everywhere. I have longed for you at every turn, how you would enjoy it all. The poppies are in their prime and, as the train whirls by, they look like immense splashes of red--almost like stains of blood against the gold of the wheat. I have just come in from a ver...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$19.95

On re-order online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1920. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER II PABIS En route from Bordeaux to Paris, July 18th, 1917. On landing yesterday I went straight to the H6tel de France...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:46 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.1 inPublished:February 4, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217917186

ISBN - 13:9780217917186

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Canteening Overseas, 1917-1919

Reviews