768 pages, 9.9 × 8 × 1.3 in
February 25, 2010
The following ISBNs are associated with this title:
ISBN - 10: 0495898171
ISBN - 13: 9780495898177
About the Book
Used by more than a million readers, LOOKING OUT/LOOKING IN,Thirteenth Edition, is the leading interpersonal communication book in print. Written in a reader-friendly voice that links scholarship to users' everyday lives, this popular book motivates readers to improve their interpersonal skills and sharpen their critical understanding of the process of communication. Through thoughtful, diverse examples that include fine art, music, poetry, film, and more, users can consistently see the importance of interpersonal communication and how it affects their society and their lives.
Table of Contents
1. A First Look at Interpersonal Communication.
2. Communication and Identity: Creating and Presenting the Self.
3. Perception: What you See is What You Get.
4. Emotions: Thinking, Feeling and Communicating.
5. Language: Barrier and Bridge.
6. Nonverbal Communication: Messages Beyond Words.
7. Listening: More than Meets the Ear.
8. Communication and Relational Dynamic.
9. Intimacy and Distance in Relational Communication.
10. Improving Communication Climates.
11. Managing Interpersonal Conflicts.
From the Publisher
Used by more than a million students, LOOKING OUT/LOOKING IN, Thirteenth Edition, continues its outstanding tradition of combining current information with a fun, reader-friendly voice that links course topics to your everyday life. You?ll discover the reasons to improve your interpersonal skills and sharpen your critical understanding of the communication process through diverse and compelling examples that illustrate how communication skills can affect both the world around us and our own lives. Improve your relationships and your future career success with this engaging text that teaches interpersonal concepts through popular music, art, movies, and television.