Claudian (volume 1)

Paperback | January 11, 2012

byClaudius Claudianus

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1922. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... DE BELLO GILDONICO LIBER I (XV) Redditus imperiis Auster subiectaque rursus alterius convexa poli. rectore sub uno conspirat geminus frenis communibus orbis. iunximus Europen Libyae. concordia fratrum plena redit. patriis solum quod defuit armis, 5 tertius occubuit nati virtute tyrannus. horret adhuc animus manifestaque gaudia differt, dum stupet et tanto cunctatur credere voto. necdum Cinyphias exercitus attigit oras: iam domitus Gildo. nullis victoria nodis 10 haesit, non spatio terrae, non obice ponti. congressum profugum captum vox nuntiat una rumoremque sui praevenit laurea belli. quo, precor, haec effecta deo? robusta vetusque tempore tam parvo potuit dementia vinci? 15 quem veniens indixit hiems, ver perculit hostem. 1 For the details of Gildo's rebellion see Introduction, p. x. 2 The Cinyps is a river in Libya; cf. Virg. Georg. iii. 312. THE WAR AGAINST GILDO1 BOOK I (XV) The kingdom of the south is restored to our empire, the sky of that other hemisphere is once more brought into subjection. East and West live in amity and concord beneath the sway of one ruler. We have joined Europe again to Africa, and unswerving singleness of purpose unites the brother emperors. The would-be third participant of empire has fallen before the prowess of Honorius the son --that one victory that failed to grace the arms of Theodosius, the father. Still is my mind troubled and admits not the universal joy for very amazement, nor can believe the fulfilment of its heartfelt prayers. Not yet had the army landed upon Africa's 2 coasts when Gildo yielded to defeat. No difficulties delayed our victorious arms, neither length of march nor intervening ocean. One and the same word brings news of the conflict, the flight, the capture of Gildo. The news of victory outstripped the new...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

On re-order online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1922. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... DE BELLO GILDONICO LIBER I (XV) Redditus imperiis Auster subiectaque rursus alterius convexa poli. rectore sub uno conspirat geminus ...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:98 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.2 inPublished:January 11, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217823327

ISBN - 13:9780217823326

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Claudian (volume 1)

Reviews