$11.99 list price save 5%
Earn 56 plum® points

Prices and offers may vary in store

Quantity:

In stock online

Ships free on orders over $25

Available in stores

about

Like Sailor Moon, Minako Aino is a normal 13-year-old schoolgirl until a fateful day when a white cat introduces himself to her and tells her she has the power to transform into the hero, Sailor V. Using a magic pen to transform, Sailor V fights the evil agents of the Dark Agency as she strives to protect the earth.

Codename: Sailor V, created by the author before she created the mega-popular Sailor Moon, has never before been available in the U.S. This books features:

- An incredibly accurate translation!
- Japanese-style, right-to-left reading!
- New cover art never before seen in the U.S.!
- The original Japanese character names!
- Detailed translation notes!
Naoko Takeuchi lives in Tokyo, Japan. Takeuchi's works have a wide following among anime and manga fans worldwide. Her most popular work, Sailor Moon, rose to become as of 2011 one of the most recognized manga and anime products to date. The author lives in Tokyo, Japan.
Title:Codename: Sailor V 1Format:PaperbackDimensions:272 pages, 7.5 × 5 × 0.74 inPublished:September 13, 2011Publisher:Kodansha ComicsLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:1935429779

ISBN - 13:9781935429777

Look for similar items by category:

Reviews

Rated 5 out of 5 by from Great for SM fans! Cute sidestories with an insight on Mina's past! What Sailor V did before she ultimately joined the Inner Scouts!
Date published: 2017-10-24
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Another view for sailor moon Always been curious about Sailor Venus before uniting with the sailor scouts. Now it's all clear. Cute, yet meaningful!
Date published: 2017-10-23
Rated 5 out of 5 by from A must have for Sailor Moon fans! This is a really cute manga that captures the true beginning of the story. Sailor V's beginning and the introduction to the awesome tale! :)
Date published: 2017-02-16
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Love it If you're a fan of Minako or Sailor Venus then you'll definitely enjoy this manga as it revolves mainly around her. It gives us a lot of backstory and origin which is always appreciated. The art once again is as beautiful as ever and the characters are so loveable. I enjoyed this a lot.
Date published: 2016-12-04
Rated 3 out of 5 by from Not as enjoyable as Sailor Moon Codename Sailor V is great if you want some backstory and information on what comes before the events of the Sailor Moon series, but I really missed the group dynamic. These books were still funny and cute, but not what I had grown up loving, so it wasn't as special for me.
Date published: 2016-11-21
Rated 5 out of 5 by from See Where It All Began... Before "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon", there was "Codename: Sailor V" - the tales of 13-year-old Minako Aino and her journey to become the first Guardian of Love and Justice in a Sailor Suit. ;) I actually have preferred Sailor V over Sailor Moon for years, so it was a treat to finally get this first volume of her adventures in English. The artwork is crisp and colourful, and it is interesting to see Minako and Artemis' first interactions with each other. In some ways, I find it a pity that this series did not last longer, but this and Volume 2 are favorites I enjoy rereading from time to time - not something I do with many books.
Date published: 2016-11-07
Rated 5 out of 5 by from LOVE Sailor Senshi I absolutely love Codename Sailor V as well as Sailormoon. To anyone who isn't familiar with Sailor V, but does know Sailormoon, this title may seem familiar and a little bit confusing to read at first. However, these misunderstandings will become perfectly clear and make complete sense once you reach the part in V2 of Sailor Moon where Sailor Venus makes her appearance up to the part where they discover Usagi's the real Moon Princess. The story was told much different in the manga to the anime. I won't spoil it for any new readers, but what I will say is it's worth it to pick up these two books. You can't think of Sailormoon and Sailor V as two different titles. Codename Sailor V was simply a prequel that explained some things that needed to be explained before continuing into the actual Sailor Moon story. The anime was originally meant to have a Sailor V prequel as well but due to some legal issues it never was made, which also resulted in changes, a lot of them to the Sailormoon anime. Both the anime and manga were very different, so unless you read Japanese and have already read the Japan releases you're being introduced for the first time now to the original real story that Naoko Takeuchi released 20 years ago. All of the books are more than worth your time to read and purchase. My friend has the Japanese copies already, and while I've been able to sorta read them with her help as she is from Japan, it feels so much more great to sit down and enjoy them on my own as well. There's 2 Volumes of Codename Sailor V, 12 of Sailor Moon and then I don't know if we're getting them released or not, but there was also two volumes of Short Stories released in Japan as well. I've been a lover of anime for 20 years now, and I've seen many different titles, but Naoko's classic masterpiece has always had a place on my shelf and in my heart.
Date published: 2011-11-19
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Codename: Sailor V If you are looking for another fix of Sailor Moon manga this is it. It is essentially the same format as Sailor Moon only instead focusing solely on Sailor Venus before she meets up the other sailor scouts. The only thing I found difficult to understand about this manga is that Sailor V seems exactly like Sailor Moon, I mean there are very few differences between them, unlike the anime. I just found this a little weird.
Date published: 2011-10-17

Editorial Reviews

"With its whimsical sense of fashion, thrilling adventure and complex backstory, Sailor Moon was like little else young girls had ever before seen on television, and miles above anything American animators were offering them. The anime led to interest in the manga, which in turn became the sort of success that made the bookstore market sit up and take notice. Scratch a modern-day manga fangirl, and you're likely to find someone who watched Sailor Moon when she was young." -The Comics Journal