Collected Poems 1943-2004

Paperback | April 3, 2006

byRichard Wilbur

not yet rated|write a review
With a distinguished career spanning more than sixty years, Richard Wilbur stands as one of America's preeminent men of letters. Collected Poems 1943-2004 is the comprehensive collection of Wilbur's astonishing, timeless work. It will serve as the most referenced trove of this beloved poet's best verses for many years to come. In Trackless Woods In trackless woods, it puzzled me to findFour great rock maples seemingly aligned,As if they had been set out in a rowBefore some house a century ago,To edge the property and lend some shade.I looked to see if ancient wheels had madeOld ruts to which the trees ran parallel,But there were none, so far as I could tell-There'd been no roadway. Nor could I find the squareDepression of a cellar anywhere,And so I tramped on further, to surveyAmazing patterns in a hornbeam sprayOr spirals in a pine cone, under treesNot subject to our stiff geometries.

Pricing and Purchase Info

$20.67 online
$27.99 list price (save 26%)
In stock online
Ships free on orders over $25

From the Publisher

With a distinguished career spanning more than sixty years, Richard Wilbur stands as one of America's preeminent men of letters. Collected Poems 1943-2004 is the comprehensive collection of Wilbur's astonishing, timeless work. It will serve as the most referenced trove of this beloved poet's best verses for many years to come. In Track...

From the Jacket

OVER THE COURSE of his distinguished sixty-year career, Richard Wilbur has written seventeen collections of poetry, five childrens books, and numerous works of prose and translations. This volume presents a comprehensive collection of Wilburs work, including many of his most recent poems.

RICHARD WILBUR, one of America's most beloved poets, has served as poet laureate of the United States. He has received the National Book Award, two Pulitzer Prizes, the National Arts Club medal of honor for literature, and a number of translation prizes, including two Bollingen Prizes and two awards from PEN.

other books by Richard Wilbur

The Misanthrope and Tartuffe, by Moliere
The Misanthrope and Tartuffe, by Moliere

Kobo ebook|Oct 20 1965

$13.89 online$17.99list price(save 22%)
Loudmouse
Loudmouse

Kobo ebook|Nov 24 2015

$13.11

Le Cid and The Liar
Le Cid and The Liar

Kobo ebook|Aug 11 2009

$13.89 online$17.99list price(save 22%)
see all books by Richard Wilbur
Format:PaperbackDimensions:608 pages, 8.54 × 5.97 × 1.02 inPublished:April 3, 2006Publisher:Houghton Mifflin HarcourtLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0156030799

ISBN - 13:9780156030793

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Collected Poems 1943-2004

Reviews

Extra Content

Editorial Reviews

PRAISE FOR COLLECTED POEMS 1943-2004 Collected Poems 1943-2004 is the indispensable Wilbur. The emergence of a poet like Wilbur as a hero to a new generation of critics is cause for hope: that readers, not gatekeepers, might rediscover poems written in the spirit of generosity and care, and disciplined by the idea of an uncaptive audience." - The New York Times Book Review "The work in these five hundred or so pages has been one of the saving graces of poetry in our time, as beautiful and moving as it is artful and accomplished. This collected edition will see a reader through quiet evenings and noisy Metro commutes, indeed through one's whole life." - The Washington Post Book World "