The perfect companion for the rail traveller to plan adventures and follow the changing landscapes through the train window. An essential guide to exploring Britain by train.
This pocket guide is unashamedly about the train, rail travel, the railway and its immediate environs, and is suitable for anyone planning or looking for inspiration for a rail journey.
Each journey incorporates colourful mapping, gradient profiles of mountainous routes, high-quality photographs and accessible text on the history and geography of the route.
Descriptions of great days out from major destinations are also featured.
Based on his extensive knowledge of British rail travel, the author reveals appealing quirks of the various routes and provides practical tips on how to make the most of your journey.
Some of the routes featured include:
- London to York/Leeds & Days out from York
- York to Edinburgh & Days out from Edinburgh
- London to Liverpool/Manchester via Crewe
- Crewe to Carlisle
- Carlisle to Glasgow & Days out from Glasgow
- Leeds to Carlisle via Settle
- Glasgow to Oban/Fort William
- Fort William to Mallaig
- Glasgow to Inverness
- Inverness to Far North/Kyle
- Edinburgh to Aberdeen
- London to Cambridge
- London to Bath & Days out from Bath
- London to Exeter via Westbury & Days out from Exeter
- Exeter to Penzance
- Cornish Branch Lines
- London to Stratford-upon-Avon
- Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth/Pwllheli
- London to Crewe, Chester, Llandudno Junction, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Porthmadog, Dovey Junction and Shrewsbury
- Days out from London - Brighton, Canterbury, Oxford, Cambridge