Conceptual Foundations: The Bridge to Professional Nursing Practice, 5th Editionprovides the background you need to succeed in your role as a professional nurse. It discusses the concepts that define the nursing profession, covering everything from the history of nursing to current challenges in the profession. Expert educators Joan L. Creasia, PhD, RN, and Elizabeth E. Friberg, MSN, RN, bring together the best minds of nursing for an in-depth look at the profession's major theories, practices, and principles.
- Vignettes, each written by a practicing nurse, open each chapter with a specific scenario and application of professional behaviors.
- Critical Thinking Exercisesat the end of each chapter help you to use and apply what you've learned.
- Objectivesat the beginning of each chapter provide a framework for study.
- Key pointsat the end of each chapter help you focus on important information.
- NewPatient Safetychapterprepares you for expanded nursing responsibility for patient safety, adherence to regulatory requirements of the Joint Commission, and the implementation of best practices to create health care that is safe, timely, effective, efficient, equitable, and patient-centered.
- NewGenetics and Genomics in Professional Nursingchapterdefines the nurse's role in family history assessment and genetic testing, explains how genetic testing is used in clinical practice, and identifies ethical issues related to this emerging practice.