Conversations On Chemistry Volume 1; First Steps In Chemistry

Paperback | February 11, 2012

byWilhelm Ostwald

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1905 Excerpt: ... M. For the same reason that they die in nitrogen; because they can get no oxygen to breathe. Carbon dioxide isn't really a poison any more than nitrogen, because it is always present in our lungs. P. How does it get there? M. Out of the blood. I have already told you that the food which we eat contains carbon and that it is burnt in our tissues by means of the oxygen which the blood leads to it. It burns to carbon dioxide just as in ordinary combustion; the gas is absorbed by the blood, and we breathe, it out from our lungs along with nitrogen. P. So carbon dioxide is present in the air which I breathe out? M. Certainly; blow some air through a glass tube into lime-water. P. So it is, the lime-water becomes milky, and there is a white precipitate. What a lot I have to think about! 30. THE SUN. P. I have been puzzling my head ever since the last lesson. I know now that carbon dioxide is produced by combustion, by breathing, and by decay, and that in some places it streams out of the earth. It must all collect in the air, and accumulate. Isn't the air full of carbon dioxide? M. There is always some in the air, but not very much; only about 1/2ow More is present in close rooms when much carbon dioxide has been produced by breathing or by the burning of gas. You can easily recognize it by exposing some lime-water to the air in the room, for it will become covered over with a white scum. P. Covered over? Oh, I see; because the carbon dioxide can only act on the surface of the water. But what becomes of all the carbon dioxide that is poured into the air? Perhaps the volume of the air is so great that the carbon dioxide makes no difference. M. That is not the reason. As a matter of fact, there is a state of equilibrium in which the air loses as much carbon dioxid...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

On re-order online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1905 Excerpt: ... M. For the same reason that they die in nitrogen; because they can get no oxygen to breathe. Carbon dioxide isn't really a pois...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:66 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.14 inPublished:February 11, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217823319

ISBN - 13:9780217823319

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Conversations On Chemistry Volume 1; First Steps In Chemistry

Reviews