Paperback | October 12, 2012

not yet rated|write a review

Pricing and Purchase Info

$19.95

Earn 100 plum® points

On re-order online

Not available in stores

about

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1904 edition. Excerpt: ...or even masculine, any more than they are pure. The well-known passages at the opening of The Winter Evening, are the self-portraiture of a soul in bliss--such bliss as that soul could know--and the poet would have found it very difficult to depict to himself by the utmost effort of his religious imagination any paradise which he would really have enjoyed more. Now stir tho fire, and close the shutters fast, Let fall the curtains, wheel the sofa round, And while the bubbling and loud-hissing urn Throws up a steamy column, and the cups That cheer but not inebriate, wait on each, So let us welcome peaceful evening in. This folio of four pages, happy work! Which not even critics criticise, that holds Inquisitive attention while I read Past bound in chains of silence, which the fair, Though eloquent themselves, yet fear to break, What is it but a map of busy life, Its fluctuations and its vast concerns? 'Tis pleasant through the loop-holes of retreat To peep at such a world. To see the stir Of the great Babel and not feel the crowd. To hear the roar Bhe sends through all her gates At a safe distance, where the dying sound Falls a soft murmur on the injured ear. F Thus sitting and surveying thus at ease The globe and its concerns, I seem advanced To some Beoure and more than mortal height, That liberates and exempts me from them all. It turns submitted to my view, turns round With all its generations; I behold The tumult and am still The sound of war Has lost its terrors ere it reaches me, Grieves but alarms me not. I mourn the pride And avarice that make man a wolf to man, Hear the faint echo of those brazen throats By which he speaks the language of his heart, And sigh, but never tremble at the sound. He travels and expatiates, as the bee...

Details & Specs

Title:Cowper Volume 2, Pt. 3Format:PaperbackDimensions:38 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.08 inPublished:October 12, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217926266

ISBN - 13:9780217926263

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Cowper Volume 2, Pt. 3

Reviews