Development of the Nervous Systempresents a broad outline of neural development principles as exemplified by key experiments and observations from past and recent times. The text is organized along a development pathway from the induction of the neural primordium to the emergence of behavior. It covers all the major topics including the patterning and growth of the nervous system, neuronal determination, axonal navigation and targeting, synapse formation and plasticity, and neuronal survival and death. This new text reflects the complete modernization of the field achieved through the use of model organisms and the intensive application of molecular and genetic approaches. Original, artist-rendered drawings combined with clear, concise writing makeDevelopment of the Nervous Systemwell suited to anyone approaching this complex field for the first time.
* Provides a synopsis of concepts and experimental strategies
* Includes designs of critical experiments that are easy to understand
* Outlines the molecular and genetic bases for many developmental events
* Presents new information on the function of the developing central nervous system
* Richly illustrated with original drawings
* Treats the field as an experimental rather than a descriptive science
* Written at a level that is appropriate for undergraduates and beyond