Diana, Lady Lyle (volume 2)

Paperback | January 18, 2012

byWilliam Hepworth Dixon

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1877. Excerpt: ... BOOK VIII. M A Y-D A Y. Period, 1869. CHAPTER I. My Lord Duke. "room for his Grace! room for Lady Lyle!" cries Lamber, rushing down the spiral stairs into the garden, and appealing to the universe in general, the roses and rhododendrons in particular, to retire in favour of an elderly gentleman in a blue coat and brass buttons, abundance of frill and ruffles, and a pair of shoes with silver buckles, who is leading out into the open air the young mistress of Castle Lyle. "Cock-a-doodle-doo!" crows Lord St. Leger, from the stair-head, following the fussy doctor, and carrying Frank, his godson, on his patrician shoulders. Frank is always in the front. After them comes my lord Duke, holding Lady Lyle by the hand, as young gentlemen in the days of Queen Charlotte used to hold the hands of young ladies in a saraband. His Grace descends into the garden, leading Diana by the tip of her finger, much as the Duke of Wellington may have led the Duchess of Richmond through a quadrille at the Brussels ball. "You smile, my lady," he observes as they reach the border, making a low and formal bow; "my visit is to you, and you alone." "A curtesy for your Grace's courtesy," replies Diana, sweeping her robes in front of him, in rapid mimicry of the formal kind of curtsey which her Grace of Richmond may have made to his Grace of Wellington on the eve of Waterloo. "A peer of the realm, my lady, never meddles with those matters of the lower house." "Not even when the law forbids him? Peers never long for the forbidden fruit?" "Peeresses may. They're privileged, you know, by rank and sex. A lady is not required to set a pattern of obedience to the lower classes." "She has enough to do in keeping the man of her own class in order?" "Let us give these gentlemen a wider berth." Leo...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1877. Excerpt: ... BOOK VIII. M A Y-D A Y. Period, 1869. CHAPTER I. My Lord Duke. "room for his Grace! room for Lady Lyle!" cries Lamber, rushing...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:78 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.16 inPublished:January 18, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217203485

ISBN - 13:9780217203487

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Diana, Lady Lyle (volume 2)

Reviews