The Definitive, Fully Updated Guide to Solving Real-World Chemical Reaction Engineering Problems
The fourth edition of Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering is a completely revised version of the worldwide best-selling book. It combines authoritative coverage of the principles of chemical reaction engineering with an unsurpassed focus on critical thinking and creative problem solving, employing open-ended questions and stressing the Socratic method. Clear and superbly organized, it integrates text, visuals, and computer simulations to help readers solve even the most challenging problems through reasoning, rather than by memorizing equations.
Thorough coverage of the fundamentals of chemical reaction engineering forms the backbone of this trusted text. To enhance the transfer of core skills to real-life settings, three styles of problems are included for each subject
- Straightforward problems that reinforce the material
- Problems that allow students to explore the issues and look for optimum solutions
- Open-ended problems that encourage students to practice creative problem-solving skills
H. Scott Fogler has updated his classic text to provide even more coverage of bioreactions, industrial chemistry with real reactors and reactions, and an even broader range of applications, along with the newest digital techniques, such as FEMLAB. The fourth edition of Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering contains wide-ranging examples—from smog to blood clotting, ethylene oxide production to tissue engineering, antifreeze to cobra bites, and computer chip manufacturing to chemical plant safety. About the CD-ROM
The CD-ROM offers numerous enrichment opportunities for both students and instructors, including the following Learning Resources:
- Summary Notes: Chapter-specific interactive material to address the different learning styles in the Felder/Solomon learning-style index
- Learning Resources: Web modules, reactor lab modules, interactive computer modules, solved problems, and problem-solving heuristics
- Living Example Problems: More than fifty-five interactive simulations in POLYMATH software, which allow students to explore the examples and ask “what-if” questions
- Professional Reference Shelf: Advanced content, ranging from collision and transition state theory to aerosol reactors, DFT, runaway reactions, and pharmacokinetics
- Additional Study Materials: Extra homework problems, course syllabi, and Web links to related material
- Latest Software to Solve “Digital Age” Problems: FEMLAB to solve PDEs for the axial and radial concentration and temperature profiles, and Polymath to do regression, solve nonlinear equations, and solve single and coupled ODEs
Throughout the book, icons help readers link concepts and procedures to the material on the CD-ROM for fully integrated learning and reference.