Elizabeth I: Translations, 1544-1589

Hardcover | January 31, 2009

byElizabeth I

not yet rated|write a review
England’s Virgin Queen, Elizabeth Tudor, had a reputation for proficiency in foreign languages, repeatedly demonstrated in multilingual exchanges with foreign emissaries at court and in the extemporized Latin she spoke on formal visits to Cambridge and Oxford. But the supreme proof of her mastery of other tongues is the sizable body of translations she made over the course of her lifetime. This two-volume set is the first complete collection of Elizabeth’s translations from and into Latin, French, and Italian.

Presenting original and modernized spellings in a facing-page format, these two volumes will answer the call to make all of Elizabeth’s writings available. They include her renderings of epistles of Cicero and Seneca, religious writings of John Calvin and Marguerite de Navarre, and Horace’s Ars poetica, as well as Elizabeth’s Latin Sententiae drawn from diverse sources, on the responsibilities of sovereign rule and her own perspectives on the monarchy.  Editors Janel Mueller and Joshua Scodel offer introduction to each of the translated selections, describing the source text, its cultural significance, and the historical context in which Elizabeth translated it. Their annotations identify obscure meanings, biblical and classical references, and Elizabeth’s actual or apparent deviations from her sources.

The translations collected here trace Elizabeth’s steady progression from youthful evangelical piety to more mature reflections on morality, royal responsibility, public and private forms of grief, and the right way to rule.  Elizabeth I: Translations is the queen’s personal legacy, an example of the very best that a humanist education can bring to the conduct of sovereign rule.

Pricing and Purchase Info

$81.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

England’s Virgin Queen, Elizabeth Tudor, had a reputation for proficiency in foreign languages, repeatedly demonstrated in multilingual exchanges with foreign emissaries at court and in the extemporized Latin she spoke on formal visits to Cambridge and Oxford. But the supreme proof of her mastery of other tongues is the sizable body of...

Janel Mueller is the William Rainey Harper Distinguished Service Professor Emerita in the Department of English and the College at the University of Chicago. She is a coeditor of Elizabeth I: Collected Works and Elizabeth I: Autograph Compositions and Foreign Language Originals, also published by the University of Chicago Press.Joshua ...

other books by Elizabeth I

Canada Year By Year
Canada Year By Year

Hardcover|Oct 4 2016

$19.97 online$21.95list price(save 9%)
Best Of Bridge The Family Slow Cooker: 225 All-new Recipes
Best Of Bridge The Family Slow Cooker: 225 All-new Reci...

Spiral Bound|Sep 27 2016

$18.03 online$29.95list price(save 39%)
My Name Is Lucy Barton: A Novel
My Name Is Lucy Barton: A Novel

Paperback|Oct 11 2016

$19.56 online$22.00list price(save 11%)
see all books by Elizabeth I
Format:HardcoverDimensions:504 pages, 8.5 × 5.5 × 1.5 inPublished:January 31, 2009Publisher:University Of Chicago PressLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0226201317

ISBN - 13:9780226201313

Customer Reviews of Elizabeth I: Translations, 1544-1589

Reviews

Extra Content

Table of Contents

List of Illustrations
Acknowledgments
General Introduction

I          1544: Marguerite de Navarre’s Le Miroir de l’âme Pécheresse
            Introduction
            Translation

II         1545: Katherine Parr’s Prayers or Meditations
            Introduction
            Dedicatory Letter
            Latin Translation
            French Translation
            Italian Translation

III        1545: John Calvin’s Institution de la Religion Chrestienne, Chapter One
            Introduction
            Translation

IV        1547: Bernardino Ochino’s “Che Cosa è Christo”
            Introduction
            Elizabeth’s Latin Translation
            Editors’ English Translation

V         1563: Elizabeth’s Sententiae
            Introduction
            Sententiae

VI        Pre-1558–1580s: Elizabeth’s Book Inscriptions
            Introduction
            Inscriptions 

VII       ca. 1567: Seneca’s Epistulae Morales 107
            Introduction
            Translation

VIII      ca. 1579: Cicero’s Epistulae ad Familiares 2.6
            Introduction
            Translation

IX        ca. 1589: Choral Ode from Hercules Oetaeus
            Introduction
            Translation

Appendix 1: Translation Ascribed to Elizabeth of Francesco Petrarch’s Trionfo dell’Eternità, Lines 1–90
            Introduction
            Translation

Appendix 2: The Reliability of Nugae Antiquae as a Source for Translations Ascribed to Elizabeth

Index of Names

Editorial Reviews

"[These volumes] will not only grace any bookshelf, but will engender much fruitful discussion: not only of Elizabeth, who may now take her place as a significant and accomplished early modern author; but also of translation, as an important literary art of the period. . . . For Elizabeth, her translations were evidently a place where she not only honed her impressive linguistic and literary skills but also thought through political issues. . . . For us, this important publication will enable significant re-assessment of a Queen whom we thought we already knew so well."