This Character Writing Workbook, which accompanies Student Book 1 of the Encounters program, is designed to help students learn the Chinese characters found in each unit of the Student Book. The Character Writing Workbook not only provides opportunities for writing practice but also supplies considerable information about each character, such as correct stroke order, pronunciation and tone, and related words, phrases, and sentences. Also included are the radical (or "meaning key"), phonetic clues, and the evolution of the character from its ancient form, all of which provide valuable memory aids. Where applicable, both traditional and simplified forms of the character are presented so that students may choose to learn one or the other, or both, depending on their preference.
THE ENCOUNTERS PROGRAM INCLUDES:
• Full-color Student Books for introductory Chinese study
• Annotated Instructor’s Editions with answer keys and suggested class activities
• Character Writing Workbooks linked directly to the Student Books
• Ten hours of video materials, comprising dramatic episodes, cultural segments, and animations, all integrated with the Student Books
• A total of 200 minutes of audio material, linked to the Student Books, for listening and speaking practice• A website, www.EncountersChinese.com, providing a year’s free access to all audiovisual material of the program upon adoption