enLIGHTened: How I Lost 40 Pounds with a Yoga Mat, Fresh Pineapples, and a Beagle-Pointer by Jessica Berger GrossenLIGHTened: How I Lost 40 Pounds with a Yoga Mat, Fresh Pineapples, and a Beagle-Pointer by Jessica Berger Gross

enLIGHTened: How I Lost 40 Pounds with a Yoga Mat, Fresh Pineapples, and a Beagle-Pointer

byJessica Berger Gross

Paperback | October 18, 2012

Pricing and Purchase Info

$12.05 online 
$22.95 list price save 47%
Earn 60 plum® points

In stock online

Ships free on orders over $25

Not available in stores

about

Meet your new healthy best friend and yoga guru: Jessica Berger Gross. For years, Jessica struggled with fluctuating weight and bouts of unhappiness. Then she took a yoga class. It changed her life. Not because she suddenly became a human pretzel, but because yoga gave her an entirely new way of looking at the world, and at what she was eating and why she was eating it.

The core principles of yoga philosophy offer guidance that leads to eating smartly, living right, and losing weight. In a step-by-step process, this new paperback edition will teach you how these principles, or sutras, can help you to lose the physical weight and gain the emotional wisdom to keep it off. For example:

• Truthfulness, or satya, requires the yogi to be honest. Maybe you already eat salad for lunch, but if you're throwing in chunks of breaded chicken and cheese, you're not really watching your weight.

• Moderation, or brahmacarya, suggests that you make being only three-quarters full the new “I'm stuffed.” You'll be surprised at how well it works.

• Nonviolence, or ahimsa, sets out a compelling case for a vegetarian diet, or at least the need to eat only free-range, ethically-produced meat, and less of it.

Go beyond trendy diets, unsustainable exercise routines, and the quest for the “perfect” figure. With spiritual philosophy and an inspiring personal story, enLIGHTened will set you on a journey to self-acceptance, peace, and long-term health.

Jessica Berger Gross is a longtime yoga devotee and editor of the award-winning anthology About What Was Lost: 20 Writers on Miscarriage, Healing and Hope. Originally from Long Island, New York, Jessica lives with her husband and son and their dog, Salem. She teaches creative writing at the University of British Columbia.Bobby Clennel...
Estranged: Leaving Family and Finding Home
Estranged: Leaving Family and Finding Home

by Jessica Berger Gross

$27.85$35.00

In stock online

Available in stores

Title:enLIGHTened: How I Lost 40 Pounds with a Yoga Mat, Fresh Pineapples, and a Beagle-PointerFormat:PaperbackDimensions:224 pages, 8.25 × 5.5 × 5.5 inPublished:October 18, 2012Publisher:Skyhorse Publishing Inc.Language:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:1616088311

ISBN - 13:9781616088316

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of enLIGHTened: How I Lost 40 Pounds with a Yoga Mat, Fresh Pineapples, and a Beagle-Pointer

Reviews

Rated 3 out of 5 by from Meh I can't exactly put my finger on why I wasn't thrilled with this book, but I wasn't. The author seemed to lead a life that's out of reach of the average person, and I had trouble relating to the story. There were bits to the story that seemed "tacked on" so she could brag about something. I didn't bother to finish the last third of the book. Disappointed, to say the least.
Date published: 2017-05-31
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Honest, inspirational book I finished reading this book with tears in my eyes. The feeling was akin to spending the day with a really sweet friend whose life stories and struggles perfectly aligned with my own. Jessica's honesty about her own life was truly a breath of fresh air, particularly for those of us raised in families cloaked heavily in secrets and denial. The book inspired me to continue on this journey of physical and mental health and wellness and I will refer back to it often, whenever I need another lovely day with a friend.
Date published: 2009-09-22
Rated 5 out of 5 by from I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this BOOK! As we plug along in our daily lives, living our unconscious - and for the most part - bad habits we occasionally and blessedly stumble along a book that makes our eyes and our heart stretch wide open! ‘Enlightened' by Jessica Berger Gross is one such book. ‘Enlightened’ reminds us that food is as much a comfort and pacifier to adults as a soother is to babies except with the unfortunate result of food addictions, weight gains and depression. With the discovery of Yoga, a good husband and learning to let go of a very painful past Jessica’s experiences assists us readers in working to change our own lives, habits and relationships for the better. A MUST READ for yoga students, anyone wanting to lose weight or if you just need to know that you’re not alone in what you may be experiencing in this life. – Jaromey Rumsey
Date published: 2009-09-20
Rated 5 out of 5 by from A must read! This is a very inspirational story. Witty, fun, and written with passion and brilliant candor. Its storyline taps into one of the very basic principals of yoga – the practice of letting go of old behavior patterns, habits and attachments that hold us back. It really resonated with me and will for anyone who currently practices yoga, is considering yoga for the first time, or who is contemplating a renewed interest. Jessica’s story best illustrates what we all need to be reminded of... that the transformation is a journey, and not a destination.
Date published: 2009-08-03