Essays of Montaigne, Vol. 9: Translated (Classic Reprint) by Michel de MontaigneEssays of Montaigne, Vol. 9: Translated (Classic Reprint) by Michel de Montaigne

Essays of Montaigne, Vol. 9: Translated (Classic Reprint)

byMichel de Montaigne

Paperback | January 5, 2019

Pricing and Purchase Info

$20.50

Earn 103 plum® points

Prices and offers may vary in store

Out of stock online

Not available in stores

about

Excerpt from Essays of Montaigne, Vol. 9: Translated

And yet I saw, some years ago, a person, whose name and memory I have in very great esteem, in the very height of our great dis orders, when there was neither law nor justice, nor magistrate who performed his office, no more than there is now, publish I know not what pitiful reformations about cloths, cookery, and law chicanery. Those are amusements wherewith to feed a people that are ill-used, to show that they are not totally forgotten. Those others do the same, who insist upon prohibiting particular ways of speaking, dances, and games, to a people totally abandoned to all sorts of execrable vices. 'tis no time to bathe and cleanse one 's self, when one is seized by a violent fever; it was for the Spartans alone to fall to comb ing and curling themselves, when they were just upon the point of running headlong into some extreme danger of their life.

About the Publisher

Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com

This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.
Title:Essays of Montaigne, Vol. 9: Translated (Classic Reprint)Format:PaperbackDimensions:284 pages, 9 × 6 × 0.6 inPublished:January 5, 2019Publisher:FB&C LtdLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:1333329725

ISBN - 13:9781333329723

Look for similar items by category:

Reviews