Everyday English (volume 2)

Paperback | January 7, 2012

byJean Sherwood Rankin

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text, images, or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1906. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... FOR TEACHERS: HELPS AND SUGGESTIONS NOTES UPON TEXT OF LESSONS Chapter I Page 1 Mental processes must use figuratively words which were at first applied literally to physical objects. A dull knife is literal; a dull mind is figurative. We speak of a man's judgment as clear, or piercing; of his heart as soft with pity, melted with compassion, hard with revenge, swollen with pride, inflamed with wrath, ivarm with affection, cold with contempt, and so on. The most formal similes of all begin with as and follow with so. "Evangeline " has many fine examples. Since the majority of children do not remain in school long enough to study rhetoric, a list of the more common rhetorical figures is here given for use of those who find special interest in this subject: Metonymy (met-on'y-my) is the use of one word for another because of some relation other than tha' of resemblance. The relation may be rtf many kinds; as, (1) cause for effect, including minor divisions, such as, the maker for the thing made, I am reading Longfellow; (2) effect for cause, Respect gray hairs; (3) container for thing contained, The kettle boils; (4) the sign for the thing signified, The pen is mightier than the sword (peace than war); (5) place or person for product, A yard of alpaca; a brougham; (6) material for the thing made, The gold that on thy brow doth shine; (7) part for whole, or whole for part, often called synechdoche (syn-ek'do-ke) : as, waves for the sea, hands for workmen, sail or keel for boat; She has seen sixteen summers; His hair is white with many winters. A fuller list may be found in any good rhetoric. Metonymy is as common as metaphor and in constant use; as, Light the lamp; a nickel; a copper; cologne; and so on. Clearness, force, and beauty are all increased by the...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text, images, or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1906. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... FOR TEACHERS: HELPS AND SUGGESTIONS NOTES UPON TEXT OF LESSONS Chapter I Page 1 Mental processes must use figuratively words...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:108 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.22 inPublished:January 7, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217714617

ISBN - 13:9780217714617

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Everyday English (volume 2)

Reviews