$10.10 online 
$10.99 list price save 8%
Earn 51 plum® points
Quantity:

In stock online

Ships free on orders over $25

Available in stores

about

Immerse yourself in Laura Ingalls Wilder’s beloved Little House series, now featuring Garth Williams’ classic art in vibrant full-color! 

While Laura Ingalls grows up in a little house on the western prairie, Almanzo Wilder is living on a big farm in New York State. Almanzo and his brother and sisters help with the summer planting and fall harvest. In winter there is wood to be chopped and great slabs of ice to be cut from the river and stored. Almanzo wishes for just one thing—his very own horse—but he must prove that he is ready for such a big responsibility.

Based on the childhood of Laura’s husband, Almanzo Wilder, Farmer Boy is the second book in the award-winning Little House series, which has captivated generations of readers with its depiction of life on the American frontier.

Laura Ingalls Wilder was born in 1867 in the log cabin described inLittle House in the Big Woods. She and her family traveled by covered wagon across the Midwest. Later, Laura and her husband, Almanzo Wilder, made their own covered-wagon trip with their daughter, Rose, to Mansfield, Missouri. There, believing in the importance of knowi...
Title:Farmer Boy: #2Format:PaperbackDimensions:384 pages, 7.62 × 5.12 × 0.77 inPublished:May 11, 2004Publisher:HarperCollinsLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0060581824

ISBN - 13:9780060581824

Appropriate for ages: 9 - 12

Reviews

Rated 4 out of 5 by from Farmer Boy It was great to find out about Laura's future husband.
Date published: 2017-10-26
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Amazing! My daughter loved reading about the adventures of the day-to-day life of Almanzo and his family. We had some great discussions about what life would have been like. My daughter felt like she was there witnessing it all!
Date published: 2017-10-20
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Almanzo This is the only book in the series which is not about Laura, but it is written in the same simple style and is impossible to put down. My son loved it, and he also said that Almanzo is very much like Charles (Laura's father). We started reading it when he was exactly Almanzo's age, and his grandparents live in Upstate New York, so he identified with many things in the stories. It is an amazing and historically accurate account of the everyday life in those days. It is also the funniest book in the series (the story when the four kids stayed alone for a week is hilarious), but also plain scary sometimes, like the story of the teacher being threatened by older students.
Date published: 2017-08-10
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Great Book! This is probably my favorite book by Laura Ingalls Wilder, I've read it multiple times. My favorite part of the book is reading about the food that the Wilder family ate.
Date published: 2017-07-25
Rated 4 out of 5 by from great i love this series so much as a kid
Date published: 2017-07-10
Rated 4 out of 5 by from wow i love this series as a boy. its really interesting
Date published: 2017-07-09
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Insight Into the Formative Years of Laura Ingalls One True Love Delightful book about the formative years of Almanzo Wilder who would be the man to one day capture the heart of Laura Ingalls.
Date published: 2017-04-17
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Not my favourite I love this series, but this particular book is far from my favourite out of the entire series.
Date published: 2017-03-12
Rated 5 out of 5 by from A favourite book I didn't read this book in the Laura series until years after I had finished all the Laura books. The title and cover didn't appeal to me when I was younger. However, once I picked it up, it's on my re-read list. Very well written and Almanzo's life on a successful farm is a bit of a refreshing change from Laura's rougher frontier life.
Date published: 2017-02-28
Rated 3 out of 5 by from Almanzo's Story Yes, it's different than the rest of the Little House books, as it doesn't follow Laura but instead follows her future husband. I still think it is a worthy read :)
Date published: 2017-02-04
Rated 2 out of 5 by from Okay I enjoyed following Laura's story and her pioneer life but this story was okay.
Date published: 2017-01-22
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Good book Great book, love her writing. #plumreview
Date published: 2016-12-05
Rated 4 out of 5 by from A favourite! Even though this book didn't really "go" with the series, it was still one of my favourites in the series. We get a different insight into another child, Almanzo, who lives on a farm in New York. A great perspective change and a nice break from the prairies we see with Laura.
Date published: 2016-11-21
Rated 5 out of 5 by from How can you not love it? I have read the Little House series over and over since I was in grade 6. I had received the box set and couldn't stop reading. Farmer Boy is one of the best books in the series because it deals with Manly, Laura's future husband, when he is just a boy. He is a true country boy through and through.
Date published: 2008-02-01
Rated 1 out of 5 by from Blah This book was realy blah.It did not fit in with the series at all.
Date published: 1999-11-12