Fireside Studies (volume 1)

Paperback | February 7, 2012

byHenry Kingsley

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1876 Excerpt: ... AVE we anything finer than the letter which follows in the way of solemn, and beautifully written nonsense? Could any one now sit down and coolly give testimony about a fact of which every one was aware? Who now, except possibly Lewis Carroll, would take the trouble to tell you in the most impressive manner that the sea was wet? We will not attempt to gild the rose; we merely give a letter out of the Spectator VOL. I. I of a particular date, telling why we selected that one, afterwards. Observe in reading the letter, the wonderfully absurd air of haste and impatience about it, as compared with the magnitude of the subject. We cannot say who was the beginner of this form of fun, whether Steele or Addison, but it is found in the letters to the Spectator, more often in those of Steele than those of Addison. "Mr. Spectator, "I desire that you will print this in italic, so as it may be generally taken notice of. It is designed only to admonish all persons, who either at the bar, pulpit, or any public assembly 'whatever/ how they discover their ignorance in the use of the similies. There are in the pulpit itself, as well as in other places, such great abuses of this kind, that I give this warning to all I know. I shall bring them for the future before your Spectatorial authority. On Sunday last, one who shall be nameless, reproving several of his congregation for standing at prayers (instead of kneeling), was pleased to say 'one would think, like the elephant, you had no knees.' Now, I myself saw an elephant, at Bartholomew fair, kneel down to take on her back the ingenious Mr. William Penthyman." The paper, which precedes the letter, is signed T. "Tickell," and is not a very remarkable one in any way. The letter, we should say from internal evidence, was straigh...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$19.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1876 Excerpt: ... AVE we anything finer than the letter which follows in the way of solemn, and beautifully written nonsense? Could any one now si...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:48 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.1 inPublished:February 7, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217832881

ISBN - 13:9780217832885

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Fireside Studies (volume 1)

Reviews