Friends In Council (volume 1); A Series Of Readings And Discourses Thereon

Paperback | January 31, 2012

bySir Arthur Helps

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1885. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER it WAR. We were staying at the picturesque little town of Namur for a few days. Often we strayed up the grassy heights of those fortifications, which have seen so much warfare, and which so pleasantly recall King William the Third and my Uncle Toby. The conversation naturally took a military turn. Milverton deplored the increase of barracks, armies, camps, in which lamentation I ventured to coincide thoroughly with him. Mr. Midhurst, as a diplomatist, was rather inclined to discuss the political state of Europe, and to show, if not the just reasons, the causes of this increase of military expenditure. Ellesmere flitted from side to side in the argument; and, as his way is, tried to embroil it more and more. Entering into details, Milverton gave us an estimate of the expenses of the Russian war, which he said, speaking from authority, exceeded seventy millions of pounds.t He then proceeded to show I see I have made a mistake in the arrangement of these conversations at the veiy outset, for we certainly were at Namur before wo came to the Rhine; but I did not promise to be precise upon these points. D. fit has recently been ascertained from official sources, that the expenditure for the Russian war, including the Sardinian loan, may be set down as £70,840,859. the evil effects of the increase in taxation thus caused, and the extent to which it affected the comfort and well-being of individuals in the different classes of the state. I remember that he accounted for the largeness of expense in the Russian war as occasioned, according to the opinion of an eminent statesman and financier, by the suddenness of the war. At last, after some discussion, Ellesmere thus expressed himself:--Ellesmere. Do not let us have any of this desultory talk. I see ...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$30.50

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1885. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER it WAR. We were staying at the picturesque little town of Namur for a few days. Often we strayed up the grassy heights...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:126 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.27 inPublished:January 31, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217838545

ISBN - 13:9780217838542

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Friends In Council (volume 1); A Series Of Readings And Discourses Thereon

Reviews