Girard and Lake City Through Time by Geoffrey DomowiczGirard and Lake City Through Time by Geoffrey Domowicz

Girard and Lake City Through Time

byGeoffrey Domowicz

Paperback | March 20, 2017

Pricing and Purchase Info

$23.13 online 
$25.99 list price save 11%
Earn 116 plum® points

Prices and offers may vary in store

Quantity:

Ships within 1-2 weeks

Ships free on orders over $25

Not available in stores

about

In 1832, a new township was formed from land given by the Elk Creek, Fairview, and Springfield Townships. At the time, Stephen Girard lived in Philadelphia; he was a businessman, banker, and the founder of Girard College. He was thought to be the wealthiest man in the country. Thus, the township was named after him in an attempt to lure him into investing in the town. The early settlements, located in what is now Girard Township, were known as "The Hollow," "West Girard," and "The Mouth of Elk Creek." The "Settlement on the Hill," now a borough of Girard, was first settled in 1814.
With the completion of the Erie Extension Canal in 1842, Girard grew and incorporated as the "Borough of Girard" in 1846. "Girard Station" was first established in 1850 and was commonly known as "Miles Grove," "North Girard," "Dan Rice Town," and now, "Lake City Borough." The settlement began as "Miles Grove" with the establishment of a post office in 1862. The name was changed in 1906 to "North Girard," and incorporated into a borough in 1925. It was later renamed "Lake City Borough" in 1954.
Title:Girard and Lake City Through TimeFormat:PaperbackDimensions:96 pages, 9.25 × 6.5 × 0.31 inPublished:March 20, 2017Publisher:Arcadia PublishingLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:1635000432

ISBN - 13:9781635000436

Reviews