Gleanings Of Past Years, 1843-78 (volume 4)

Paperback | February 6, 2012

byWilliam Ewart Gladstone

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1879 Excerpt: ... "It will but skin and film the ulcerous place." For months the Christians of Turkey, other than Slav, have been Out of sight, and out of mind. It certainly is not too early to examine a little into their cases. 5. There are four Christian races under the dominion of the Porte. The question of the Slavs is going to the Conference, or the sword. The case of the Wallachs of Roumania is happily disposed of; one of the greatest and best results of the Crimean War. The case of the Armenians, who, like the Wallachs, are stated to be four millions, is presented argumentatively in a Memoire f dated October 1876, and laid before each of the Great Powers. The more proximate case of the Hellenic provinces of European Turkey is that which I shall now endeavour to unfold. And this not only because it is the portion of the house next to the present conflagration, and most likely to be caught by it; but also because the history of the proceedings, through which the Kingdom of free Greece was established, affords most interesting precedents, and an admirable guidance for any Government, or representative of a Government, desirous to deal with the great Eastern problem in the spirit of the best traditions of his country. On their title to be dealt with by the Conference I do not presume absolutely to pronounce. We may see applied to these populations the maxim--"The voice of any people is the sword That guards them; or the sword that beats them down." J 'Hamlet,' iii. 4. t Memoire sur la situation actuelle des Armeniens et sur leur avenir. Dated from 74, Lancaster Gate, London. J Tennyson's ' Harold.' I cordially Lope that it will be deemed wise and just to consider their case. But, without prejudging the point, I proceed to sketch in outline the most material parts of an ...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1879 Excerpt: ... "It will but skin and film the ulcerous place." For months the Christians of Turkey, other than Slav, have been Out of sight, a...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:100 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.21 inPublished:February 6, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217839584

ISBN - 13:9780217839587

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Gleanings Of Past Years, 1843-78 (volume 4)

Reviews