Glimpses of Europe in 1851 and 1867-8

Paperback | February 1, 2012

byAlfred Huidekoper

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1882. Excerpt: ... paper will be confiscated," said one; "your books will be taken away," said another. We were even told that the innocent, unloaded revolver which the traveler carries, probably as an amulet, for it is difficult to see in what other way it is to be of any use to him, would not be held sacred by the anomalous potentate whose realms we were about to enter. Nothing daunted, with the intrepidity of a good conscience, we placed our traps on the counter at the frontier, and proffering the key, realized, not for the first time in our lives, that "the evil one is not always as black as he is painted." On my saying that I believed there was nothing among my effects on which duty should be paid, the official, with a bow, told me to return the key to my pocket, and then, in French, whispered in my ear, "This other man and myself would like a trifle that we may drink to your honor's health." We cheerfully paid over the trifle of black mail demanded, and departed with books, papers, military defenses and all, with a high idea of official courtesy, saying nothing of integrity, in the realms of Pio Nono. ROME. ROUGH SKETCHES HOW THE ARTIST LOOKS AT IT--HOW IT PRESENTS ITSELF TO THE OPTICS OF A RUSTIC FIRST IM-PRESSIONS--STREETS, CUSTOMS, ETC. "Well, how do you like Rome?" was the inquiry made of me by a lady after I had been a few days in the city. "Please," said Mr. R., an American friend at my elbow, "please don't say; Rome is a dear old place, but you have not been here long enough yet to appreciate it." The advice had a measure of philosophic soundness about it capable of a wider application. One, on entering a strange city, from the lack of knowledge of persons and places, is apt to feel a restriction upon him that is irksome, and which predisposes him to a criticis...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1882. Excerpt: ... paper will be confiscated," said one; "your books will be taken away," said another. We were even told that the innocent, unlo...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:70 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.15 inPublished:February 1, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217484921

ISBN - 13:9780217484923

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Glimpses of Europe in 1851 and 1867-8

Reviews