'hail And Farewell!' (volume 3)

Paperback | January 5, 2012

byGeorge Moore

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text, images, or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1914. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... XIII Ever since the day that I strayed into my garden and it had been revealed to me as I walked therein that Catholics had not written a book worth reading since the Reformation, my belief had never faltered that I was an instrument in the hands of the Gods, and that their mighty purpose was the liberation of my country from priestcraft. But seemingly they had forgotten to put a spear in my hand and a buckler on my arm, and for many months I had stood perplexed, but never doubting. I knew there was no preacher in me, and therefore had striven to fashion a story, and then a play, but the artist in me could not be suborned. Davitt came with a project for a newspaper, but he died; and I had begun to lose patience, to lose spirit, and to mutter, "I am without hands to smite," and suchlike, until one day on coming in from the garden, the form which the book should take was revealed to me. "But an autobiography," I said, "is an unusual form for a sacred book." My doubts quenched a moment after in a memory of Paul, and the next day the dictation of the rough outline from the Temple to Moore Hall was begun, and from that outline, decided upon in a week of inspiration, I have never strayed. Any straying would have been fatal, so intricate are the windings of the story I had been chosen to tell. As soon as the sketch of the whole was completed, the text of "Ave" kept steadily rising; and one murk December day the typewritten copy was tied up, sealed, registered, and directed to Heinemann in Bedford Street. But no pause occurred in the composition, for no sooner was "Ave" out of the house than I set myself to the dictation of "Salve," following my memory of a long search for divinity through Meath and Louth, introducing the Colonel into the narrative, never stopp...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text, images, or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1914. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... XIII Ever since the day that I strayed into my garden and it had been revealed to me as I walked therein that Catholics had ...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:96 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.2 inPublished:January 5, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217339808

ISBN - 13:9780217339803

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of 'hail And Farewell!' (volume 3)

Reviews